Notices

Thread: David's story

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

1. David's story 
    Just seen this such an incredibly sad story, and what an amazing lady his Mum is -

Have seen comments on Facebook blaming the moronic car driver etc, etc

There is a news piece that goes with this video that puts it a bit more into context

Motorcycle was doing 97mph when he hit the car.

Every rider's nightmare, that point beyond any chance of taking evasive action. So brave and thoughtful of his Mum to give this warning, it must have been very hard to do.

Give yourself a chance, reduce speed around junctions and traffic, cover the brakes, plan your options, expect the worse. Don't view throttling off/light braking as a negative in these situations, it gives you a chance to enjoy the acceleration a bike gives in getting you back to your 'cruising' speed. As with corners, slow in, quick out

That's a fine attitude if it's just yourself, your bike and a race track as nobody else would be affected if you pushed it too far and lost control. In this instance the numpty car driver deserved to get done for not paying attention, they may have even had to live with causing an accident where a Biker was hurt, they did NOT deserve to live with having someone die, the excessive speed and risk taking ensured it was going to end badly, nothing to do with luck.

Experience should tell you that you cannot rely on luck, you have to ride within your limits, the limits of your bike and the conditions. How many times have you predicted someones mistake and have slowed down so when it does play out you can stop, "sign", toot, etc instead of smashing into them because you are unlucky.
    Before you say it, i'm not a Sunday driver equivalent on two wheels, I was happily pushing a ton last week in certain places but yesterday was in exactly the same situation as the rider that died, with someone waiting to turn right across my path - experience told me to slow the f down and I went past at 47 not 97.
    Don't wait for the luck to run out!

I think the report was stating that the driver would have had the bike (and other car) visible for about 7 seconds as it was approaching to turn right, I think they pulled out well within 100 yards as the bike had about a second to try and react.
    So the driver would have had time to "see" other traffic if they were paying attention, by their own admission they stated that they didn't see them. A bit different from actually seeing them over 300 yrds away. Saying that the driver deserved something but not the death of another human.
    To keep things in balance the same report stated that if the bike was doing 60 it would have probably been able to avoid the car.

I used to reduce speed when near junctions and keep a close eye on any traffic waiting to turn or pull out, it was noted on Sunday by the Mrs (riding pillion) that I was a lot more cautious and one time almost came to a stop as the car was "creeping". I think this is the most important effect that we should all be thinking about so well done to the family of David for allowing this video to go out and causing the debate. We can thrash out the details and everyones opinions for ages but great news if it makes us think more. Also confirms the fact that a "lot" of drivers are idiots, like the ones this morning driving in thick fog without lights...

Think Bike, Think Biker - Biker Think! Where as cyclists are fair game and should all be shot...

Quote Originally Posted by Mal103 View Post
    Think Bike, Think Biker - Biker Think! Where as cyclists are fair game and should all be shot...
    Now that's a whole new kettle of ball games. Agree completely...well maybe 90% of the idiots. Get registered, get insured, get taxed.
    I only have one vice…I lie.

I only have one vice…I lie.

When I'm on 4 wheels I NEVER pull out on a Biker however close they are, but I think you will find that the car driver admitted he never "saw" the bike or car behind it, in other words he didn't look or it didn't register.

I commute 10 hours a week either around or through Bath, as for your comment on being a sitting duck then you are right, you have to ride defensively or you won't last long. Think of it as a big game of Russian Roulette, one or more of the drivers is going to do something stupid - you just have to guess which one it is and when....
    You can do your best by taking every precaution and riding safe - doesn't have to be slow - just safe.

I think there has been enough said about who was to blame and what should or shouldn't have happened, I watched the vid earlier this morning and made a comment about the speed and the blind driver, now just thinking more about it not being me next, or anyone else.
    We already know the roads are full of idiots and we are more vulnerable, ride safely. Hopefully the family can be satisfied it's a talking point and may help drivers/riders to think more.

Take care out there...

Quote Originally Posted by Mal103 View Post
    I think there has been enough said about who was to blame and what should or shouldn't have happened, I watched the vid earlier this morning and made a comment about the speed and the blind driver, now just thinking more about it not being me next, or anyone else.
    We already know the roads are full of idiots and we are more vulnerable, ride safely. Hopefully the family can be satisfied it's a talking point and may help drivers/riders to think more.

Take care out there...
    I agree with you...but I think we are all those idiots at times, some of us are just lucky idiots.