Notices

Thread: Puncture repair in swindon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Puncture repair in swindon 
    Got a nail in the rear tyre of my 9r, got the wheel off and will be phoning a few places tomorrow to see who will plug the tyre as it's nearly new. Anyone know if bike treads offer this?

Bite the wallet...new tyre the best.
    I only have one vice…I lie.

I agree with Burbler, your mental if you repair it, nearly new or not

Hi Dan, Bike Treads do offer this service, dependent on where the nail is of course.
    I've had two tyres plugged in the past, never had a problem with them after, is there a good reason not to or is it a case of 'rumour has it' or 'my mate down the pub heard about this bloke who........... ?

Quote Originally Posted by Grey haired bloke View Post
    I've had two tyres plugged in the past, never had a problem with them after, is there a good reason not to or is it a case of 'rumour has it' or 'my mate down the pub heard about this bloke who........... ?
    I think it's the rumour thing, that said I wouldn't want to ride on a plugged tyre on a bike that will be regularly doing over a ton. I have no logic or fact to back that view up though just that tyres and brakes are the only 2 things I won't happily bodge.

Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    I think it's the rumour thing,
    That and the fact that tyres aren't designed or testing when they have holes in them, I personally wouldn't want to be going round a long bend at 90 to have the thing pop on me

They've done it for £15. Quick, easy service.

I shelled out a lot for this bike to have an enjoyable summer's riding, the next day the headgasket went and I've put over £300 into various parts that have popped up during the rebuild. I do not have the cash for a new tyre.

Did a fair amount of research into the plug vs replace argument, and a lot of sports bike track racers plug tyres and use them until they die naturally. Never once seen an account of a tyre going pop, just lots of people warning it will happen....

I also don't push my bike at all. Very rarely will it even see over a ton. I don't have a 900cc for being able to do 150mph, but more for the pleasure of knowing I could if I wanted to.

Would reputable companies really risk their names if they weren't totally satisfied with the result? If a tyre blew out at 120mph and the rider died, and it could be linked back to an insufficiently repaired tyre, that would seriously affect business.
    Last edited by Dan; 22-08-14 at 06:45 PM.

Wouldn't risk it. Get a new one. Better losing a few quid than anything more important

Not every one has the money for new. If I had a puncture I will get it plugged if I can as have NEVER come across a story of it going wrong.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

Picked it up today. Spoke to the receptionist who said they've never had a single repair come back. Apparently repairing them is far more common-place than you'd think.