Notices

Thread: Training I want to do an Advanced Riding Course and Test ???

1. Training I want to do an Advanced Riding Course and Test ??? 
    Can you get a block booking 1 or 2 day instruction then the test ?
    Counting down until my next ride out!

Quote Originally Posted by shiftyblake View Post
    Can you get a block booking 1 or 2 day instruction then the test ?
    I think some companies offering training will do this but I dont think the local groups work in this way.

Maybe ask IAM (if it's IAM you are aiming to do) for some names.

I know you didnt ask, and hope me dont mind saying, but when I signed up for IAM training all I wanted to do was to get the test done ASAP but I got heck of a lot out of having weekly/fortnightly sessions with my observer and am really glad I did it that way.

I found I learnt a bit with each session could practice it and then go onto something else.

For me the real value in advanced training was the sessions although I really enjoyed the test it was of much less importance by the time I did it than the training. I'd never of thought I'd feel that way when I signed up for it by the way.

I'd have missed a lot if I'd done an intensive few days and then the test.

Just remembered this man - he may be able to help -

http://www.mikewaite.co.uk//index.php?cID=120

If you want a recognised 'qualification' that will be accepted by insurance companies etc then it's probably best to stick with RoSPA or the IAM, both of whom base their training on the police book of motorcycle roadcraft. Both groups are active in the area just google for more details.
    Orange ones are faster, but red ones are more comfortable!

I agree with comments from QB1, training much more important than the test unless you have a specific reason to want an advanced training test pass? I got a lot out of mine to the point where passing the test wasn't of much importance to me, pleased I passed though ; )

I agree with all the comments above. In my experience, a series of spaced out sessions tends to yield best results in terms of understanding and implementation of the techniques learned.

I hope you do not mind me asking but why the rush?

having talked with my son,luke who in turn had talked at length with dennis and a.n.other about doing advanced training i am going to go for it myself,but as others have said i will prefer weekly or so training as it would be so much more beneficial
    however,i can understand why you may want to get it done in one chunk if trying to find time to do it is awkward,but to try to space it out as it would be far better..
    you're not just training to pass a test you do it to make yourself a better rider with better chances of survival on today's roads..
    ride to work,work to live,live to ride

Thanks everybody, valid comments and I think it would be better to do an hour or so a week to practice and reflect on. I was confused as there are so many different courses. I am told which ever one I do will improve my riding. I am sure it will. I have also been told that the Gold Standard is Rospa as Police Riders get a dispensation from Part 1 training if they have this skill. So this is the one I am now signing up with. I will do weekly sessions until hopefully I am good enough to have a go at the test..... one day
    Counting down until my next ride out!