Notices

View Poll Results: What type of scrubber are you?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Softly, softly catchy monkey?

12 57.14%
  • Treat it like any other ride?

7 33.33%
  • Ride it like you stole it?

2 9.52%

Thread: What type of scrubber are you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. How do you srcub your tyres in? 
    Couldn't find a thread on it, thought it may be of some use for people to give their thoughts on their "scrubbing in process. May also help with new riders who have never had the pleasure of doing the ritual.
    Do you follow the letter of the rule and do 100 miles with caution?
    The reason behind this is i had to scrub a new set in on Sunday (Dunlop RoadSmart 2's)
    After the deluge of rain on Saturday and cooling temperatures it was a bit tip toey to start with as there was alot of damp patches and even more crap washed onto the road surface.
    So, 5 miles of steady acceleration and gentle banking, a further 2 miles of hard acceleration and braking to get the tyres up to temp and then it was off to the Cirencesterl ring road to do a few circuits of decent roundabouts and gradually build up the lean angle. Then off to the ToysRus roundabout which has 4 apexes and a lovely exit which helps with getting the left done. So all in all they were pretty much done in 50 miles. It was then off for another 100 miles of hooning.
    Last edited by cuffy; 01-07-14 at 08:23 PM.

I use continentals, which don't use the releasing agent that makes the tyre initially slippery, but that aside i usually take it reasonably steady until the grip levels feel good.

Banned
    I take it steady for the first 50 miles then gradually work away at the chicken strips for the next 50

Got a pair of SportSmart 2 fitted on Saturday and went for a 80 mile ride Sunday evening, took the sheen off them but to my surprise all the little rubber spikes are still in tact. Whilst it's dry I'll just plod along as normal.

Sod's law dictates that it's always raining when I get new tyres, so always a bit cautious
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

I've only had the delight of scrubbing in 1 set of tyres and i nearly binned the bike a mile up the road so i would be very hesitant for a while. I have only been riding for 18 months though so probably not the best person to listen to :P

Banned
    New tyres

i fit my own tyres and give them a good rub down with cloth/brake cleaner and then a quick rub with emery cloth..done that for the last 4 years on all mine and lukes bikes with no problems..able to ride normal from the get-go..not saying its right but it works for me..
    ride to work,work to live,live to ride

Thumbs up for Road smarts. Best all round tyre I've ever used.

Quote Originally Posted by Long John View Post
    Got a pair of SportSmart 2 fitted on Saturday and went for a 80 mile ride Sunday evening, took the sheen off them but to my surprise all the little rubber spikes are still in tact. Whilst it's dry I'll just plod along as normal.
    Mine too, arduous little buggers.

Quote Originally Posted by wiltshire builders View Post
    Thumbs up for Road smarts. Best all round tyre I've ever used.
    Have to admit they are a good hoop. My rear was badly squared off when I bought the bike and it didn't fill me with confidence when I used to get that double tip feeling going into corners.
    Another good tyre I used was the Maxxis Supersport, sweet lordy Jesus were they grippy little buggers. Apparently the marshals in the IoM TT used them.