Notices

Thread: Cats!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Cats! 
    Anyone got any proven tips on how to keep these filthy vermin out of my garden?
    Sprays and gels get washed away in the rain and sonic scarers irritate the neighbours.
    I also don't see why I should have to fork out a fortune and deface my garden just because someone wants 'something to cuddle'
    Any help would be greatly appreciated and you'll also be saving an animal's life because I'm seriously considering an air rifle!

Lol, we just bought 2 of our own cats, soft as anything, but they actually come in to use the litter tray....... We had loads of problems with cats crapping in our plant pots and killing them. We tried sonic things, and found the only thing that worked prior to getting our own cats was squirting the hose at them. Good luck I know just how annoying other people's cats are, they buy them then just kick them out and forget about them
    "look busy......... Jesus is watching you" !!!

Go with the air rifle you know you want to!

Or if you can find spots where they climb over the fence/ push through hedges rig up an alarm mine. They set one off they will likely never come back

I am in the same boat. A neighbours cat keeps ****ting in our garden and I have young kids. I have spoken to them but they dont give a damn. If you find something that works let me know please.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

I believe dogs work well (unless the dog likes cats or worse if the dog is afraid of cats)
    Warning you may be jumping out of the frying pan into the fire with this solution.

Speaking from experience, we used to have problems with cats in the backyard and got a dog. No more problem with cats! No more backyard, no more grass (only skid marks) everything plastic or rubber is chewed to shreds. What used to look like a yard now resembles a bomb site but no more problem with cats.

Banned
    Yea dogs or pellet guns will do the trick
    No cats ever come into my garden. It's a shame as Dave the dog would love them too
    Many years ago my mates dad had a couple of dogs that he used for hunting, strangely the cats in the neighbourhood seemed to disappear about the same time
    Last edited by Swanny; 29-06-14 at 05:34 PM.

Tricky, could try obstacles where they come into the garden or squirting it with a hose, chasing and shouting etc. We have 2 that sleep all day but are good at keeping the rat population down during the night, unfortunately they bring them in - or what's left of them.

We had trouble with a neighbouring cat once, kept on a farm but half starved so it kept coming in and stealing our cats' food, got to be a real problem as ours wouldn't go out and messed indoors, the cat had to be "relocated" one evening.... didn't hurt it, it just lives in a new area.

Although not a great solution you could try setting up a toilet area with litter etc, turn over a small patch of ground and put loose bark etc, if they use this area alone then at least you will know where it is and maybe rope it off from kids.

I might combine Mal and WR's ideas. Set aside an area and rig it with mines.
    Cheers guys. I'll let you know how it goes. ��

Lion sh1t. I'm not joking, a lad i used to know got some from Longleat, it kept dogs, cats away from his garden. Don't know if they still give it away.

Super-soaker and shovel

super-soaker for discouraging cat, easily applied from a good raised vantage point of an upstairs window, no lethal and satisfing....

shovel is for the owners. I return the poop to the owners front gardens or by the door to the car. I find this particularly effective (provided normal channels of diplomacy do not work).

Doesnt stop the cats but it does keep me sane.

Serious suggestion is to put up an over hanging fence (45 degree inward upward facing with some netting, they don't like to climb on it and if they get in they cant get out quickly and are easier to get with the supersoaker, this worked for us. I tried 25cm and that was not long enough 50cm seems to do the trick! For the hard to hearch places pigeon spikes keep cats off fence tops to.