Notices

Thread: Helmet removal notice at Petrol stations

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Fill'er up please gov

I usually only buy from pay at pump garages - they get my payment details up front so have no risk of not getting paid

It's a faff to take everything off, especially for someone who usually wears glasses to ride too. With pay at pump the splash and dash is a couple mins tops and I'm away
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

Maybe there's an intention to actually discourage bikers from certain garages. Less face it, we buy less fuel than most cars, and don't attempt to buy a weeks shopping every time we fill up.

Used Tesco Trowbridge today, paid at pump and filled up with lid on, i have found it depends on the staff (jobs worth's) like when i sit on the bike to fill up then they get funny with me

Quote Originally Posted by theoldbaldone View Post
    Used Tesco Trowbridge today, paid at pump and filled up with lid on, i have found it depends on the staff (jobs worth's) like when i sit on the bike to fill up then they get funny with me
    Hit the nail on the head!
    It's always a jobs worth. If they were to say "Sorry, do you mind taking your helmet off" it'd be ok.
    But they never do. It's always some self righteous sod who makes a scene.
    It's not illegal and the onus is on them to inform us that it's their policy before we use their services. If the company were really that bothered they would put signs on the pumps.
    These people relish the opportunity to talk down to someone else as it gives their crappy lives a little meaning.

I generally take my helmet off when fuelling, although it does depend on which garage.

It stays on at Pay at Pump, Sainsburys in Oxford have stopped me fuelling at Pay at Pump with the helmet on. I ranted at the attendant because I had no intention of entering the shop!

Pump came back on, filled up and off on my journey.

I used to work in a petrol station and never asked people to take helmets off as there is no need. It depends on the company as they have policies they adhere to and Sainsbury's was always that the rider should not be on the bike. Never enforced by me.
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

http://tbex.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by redken1 View Post
    I agree. I don't like conversing with people who have their faces covered. Out of politeness I remove my helmet for this reason and no other. I was talking to a forecourt sales assistant about this the other day and she said she felt slightly intimidated and uncomfortable when customers came in to pay with their faces cover with a helmet or whatever, especially at night. As I said earlier there has been instances of riders filling up stolen bikes and riding off without paying. The police were unable to identify the culprits by the CCTV footage as their helmets were obviously not removed when refuelling. Unfortunately, we live in a society where the law abiding majority are penalised for the behaviour of the law breaking minority. Kids not allowed in sweet shops in more than pairs being another example. Sadly, I
    expect we will have only two choices in the not too distant future Swanny - fill up with helmet removed or no fuel.

Agree totally, if someone approached me with hoody/helmet/face cover then I will be wary, even more so if i'm sat behind several hundred quid and infront of loads of cigs that some people would love to have for nothing. I think it's a fair call to ask anyone to remove any facial covering, so long as they are fairly polite.
    I also think riders shouldn't fill up whilst being sat on the bike, can't imagine being knocked over and lying under the bike whilst petrol is pouring out all around you, or even the nozzle/hose being damaged due to being stuck in the tank. What if there was a fire, at least if you are stood next to it you have a chance of legging it with only your eyebrows missing.

Saying that I often use Asda in Frome as it's un-manned pay at pump, I assume someone is keeping an eye on it somewhere but don't think someone has to push a button to start fuelling.

Banned
    Today I was asked to get off my bike before I could fill it. I asked the reason and was told it's because static from my jacket may cause the petrol to ignite.

I did conform but only because the young lad was ok about it and apologised. I did tell him it was a load of bollocks and he agreed

I don't believe it.... Before long they will be asking us to de leather!
    at least come up with a better line of bullsh..

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mal103 View Post
    I don't believe it.... Before long they will be asking us to de leather!
    at least come up with a better line of bullsh..
    If they asked me to de-leather I would require a payment for it ;-)
    £300 would just about do it......