Notices

Thread: Helmet removal notice at Petrol stations

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    I've got a flip front lid and have never been asked to remove it prior to filling up. If I were asked, they'd get a swift 'far cough' like the last person who insisted I dismount my bike to fuel up. It is almost impossible to fill my bike up whilst on it's side stand ...and I made sure they all knew that at the till. I was angry, and they knew that too.
    In loving memory of Mikkie Mahon 8th May 1986 - 28th September 2014. Taken too soon, ride free x
    “I WILL be a story in your head, but that’s ok. We are all stories in the end, just make yours a good one, eh?”

Quote Originally Posted by Long John View Post
    I hate being asked to remove my helmet, it's happened twice and on one occasion the cashier sent out the 16 year old part time cannon fodder to deliver the message. Sadly he bounded up to me and asked me to take my hat off. To which the answer was a rather short rant explaining a would not be treated like a criminal just because I was on a bike and I'd take my business elsewhere. Which I did, but only after bricking it that I'd run out before the next station.
    Those "Ha! I'll bloody show them (sh*t, what've I done.........phew made it)" moments are the best.

Banned
    It's good to see that most of us won't stand for being dictated too

Some people are nails, some people are hammers

Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    It's good to see that most of us won't stand for being dictated too
    I think you'll find you will though as you'll be standing at the pump for ages coz they won't switch them on. Its that or run out of fuel getting to the next petrol station that may or may not serve you. Aren't there more important things to worry about in this world?

"Some people are nails, some people are hammers "

And others couldn't really give a sh1t one way or the other, I just happen to think it's good manners to remove a crash helmet to speak to someone if they are providing a service, even if it is to hand over some money and I have no real wish to speak, good manners cost nothing, let's be honest without fuel you aint going anywhere.

Diamond Member
    Don't forget its the poor cashier who's trying to earn a living, getting paid a pittance working unsocial hours that you're "avin' a go at" - all in the name of a principle. And what exactly is this principle? Some outdated and paranoid notion that "we" bikers are being persecuted for no good reason? And who is this "we" anyway?

Do you really think the bosses of Shell, Esso, Tesco or whoever really give a damn? You're going to fill up anyway so they get your money wherever you spend it.

Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey haired bloke View Post
    "Some people are nails, some people are hammers "

And others couldn't really give a sh1t one way or the other, I just happen to think it's good manners to remove a crash helmet to speak to someone if they are providing a service, even if it is to hand over some money and I have no real wish to speak, good manners cost nothing, let's be honest without fuel you aint going anywhere.
    I agree. I don't like conversing with people who have their faces covered. Out of politeness I remove my helmet for this reason and no other. I was talking to a forecourt sales assistant about this the other day and she said she felt slightly intimidated and uncomfortable when customers came in to pay with their faces cover with a helmet or whatever, especially at night. As I said earlier there has been instances of riders filling up stolen bikes and riding off without paying. The police were unable to identify the culprits by the CCTV footage as their helmets were obviously not removed when refuelling. Unfortunately, we live in a society where the law abiding majority are penalised for the behaviour of the law breaking minority. Kids not allowed in sweet shops in more than pairs being another example. Sadly, I
    expect we will have only two choices in the not too distant future Swanny - fill up with helmet removed or no fuel.
    Last edited by redken1; 20-06-14 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by redken1 View Post
    Sadly, I expect we will have only two choices in the not too distant future Swanny - fill up with helmet removed or no fuel.
    Then what ? Date of birth, dna sample, retina scan ?
    ..and queries re loyalty cards, cashback etc. meet with my silence.
    I only have one vice…I lie.

Diamond Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Burbler View Post
    Then what ? Date of birth, dna sample, retina scan ?
    ..and queries re loyalty cards, cashback etc. meet with my silence.
    Not disagreeing with you Burbler, just saying how it is. I have spent most of my life fighting to keep our basic rights. I just happen to think that if someone wishes to converse with me or carry out a financial transaction then I would like to see their face.

I take off my helmet without thought as a matter of course when entering someone's house, most shops, the docs, cafes etc. Automatic. Never really thought about it.
    However, these people have no interest whatsoever in conversation, eye-contact, couth or etiquette. They are only interested in one thing...getting your face on their camera...**** 'em.
    Last edited by Burbler; 21-06-14 at 10:10 AM.
    I only have one vice…I lie.