Notices

Thread: Speeding motorway drivers could face £10,000 fines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    There is a 50 mph average speed reg on the M5 around WsM. I noticed that ALL the cameras face south. So, if you are biking southwards they can get your plate. If you are travelling northwards...they can't.
    I only have one vice…I lie.

Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    If they follow the letter of the law any fine should equal the same financial punishment in terms of proportion to the persons circumstance, so no savings, minimum wage worker should be at the low end of the scale while an investment banker should be at the higher end. That applies now, so if they raised the upper limits unless you are pretty wealthy it should make little difference and if you are that wealthy maybe a more meaningful fine can be imposed.
    Great, so those like me who work hard, pay massive tax per year will have to pay more money to the government.....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
    Great, so those like me who work hard, pay massive tax per year will have to pay more money to the government.....
    That's why your government loves you

Quote Originally Posted by WhyNot View Post
    By the letter of the law though (not that it seems to be applied properly) before fining anyone they should take in to account earnings, assets, etc and make any fine proportionate to that so that no matter what your income the hardship caused by the fine should be equal.

The fine is punishment not revenue generation so why should a poor person be (proportionately to their wealth) punished more than a wealthier person, raising maximum thresholds just evens things up.

Although those on benefits who don't actually earn money still get let off easily because the fine will just be taken out of their weekly beer and fags allowance.....

Rant over....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    By the letter of the law though (not that it seems to be applied properly) before fining anyone they should take in to account earnings, assets, etc and make any fine proportionate to that so that no matter what your income the hardship caused by the fine should be equal.

The fine is punishment not revenue generation so why should a poor person be (proportionately to their wealth) punished more than a wealthier person, raising maximum thresholds just evens things up.
    But large rich corporations don't pay taxes or fines

Virtually every paragraph contains the words "proposed" or "could".

Hype. Non story.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"