Notices

Thread: You get what you pay for

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. You get what you pay for 
    I wrote off a Honda Innova on Friday night (not mine luckily). E-stop at about 35-40 to avoid a drunk that walked out infront of me ended up with me going over the front and sliding down the road before bouncing up a raised kerb.

Kit did it's job but my belief that more expensive brand named gear was just paying for the name has changed. The alpinestars drystar trousers I had on barely show a scar, some minor scuffing is all. The cheap "Tuzo" brand jacket I was wearing however shredded through in places on the arm and side (through jacket and liner) and the straps you tighten just above the waist to help stop the jacket riding up when you slide literally disintegrated.

When I collect the gear from where I left it I'll take some photos, but really you get what you pay for it's opened my eyes.

Platinum Member
    Yep - that's why I spend as much on my protective gear as poss.
    I always try to upgrade when I replace too.

Got Tuzo myself, had it for a couple of years, first slide ripped the jacket to shreds over the shoulder. Still own a set though ;-)

I have a tuzo helmet but not worried about my head as nothing important in there to worry about.

Glad you were ok after the spill.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

Quote Originally Posted by Conehead View Post
    I have a tuzo helmet but not worried about my head as nothing important in there to worry about.
    With lids passing a set standard I'd be inclined to believe cheap should be ok. I hit the ground a couple months back in a novelty lid (passed no standards) and had no worse than a lump on my head so I think proper lids must be fairly over-engineered. I won't buy a cheap jacket again though 35-40 isn't that fast I reckon if I'd been doing NSL I'd be missing a lot of skin right now.

Glad you were ok after the spill.
    I think I bust at least 1 rib and messed up a few others, shoulder and hip are pretty rough on the right side I guess when I bounced up over the kerb they took the brunt of the impact . Wife is nagging me to go to A&E but stuff that on a bank holiday weekend. More annoyingly I think it's cost me my evening job delivering pizzas (was their bike).

Dogs body jobs?...... had a career change?

Platinum Member
    Go back to A&E
    Your wife is right on this occasion!

You never know what is happening on the inside. Go to A&E and put your wifes mind at ease. You might also be right about losing your evening job even though it wasn't your fault.

Kinda, Dogs Body Jobs is my own business I have started as I am sick and tired of working for companies that dont give a **** about you and you are just filling their pockets while getting peanuts. I have already done a few jobs even though I am still technically employed at my current job. Just waiting for redundancy, hopefully within the year (they keep pushing it back) before I hit my business with all guns blazing. Before anyone moans I have registered my company with HMRC so all is above board.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

You never know what is happening on the inside. Go to A&E and put your wifes mind at ease. You might also be right about losing your evening job even though it wasn't your fault.

Kinda, Dogs Body Jobs is my own business I have started as I am sick and tired of working for companies that dont give a **** about you and you are just filling their pockets while getting peanuts. I have already done a few jobs even though I am still technically employed at my current job. Just waiting for redundancy, hopefully within the year (they keep pushing it back) before I hit my business with all guns blazing. Before anyone moans I have registered my company with HMRC so all is above board.
    what service do you offer then ?

Quote Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
    Go back to A&E
    Your wife is right on this occasion!
    Annoyingly she is almost always right. Having broke ribs before though all they do is give you mongo strength pain killers and I really can't be bothered waiting hours in A&E for a handful of pills.

Best of luck in your new venture mate.

Diamond Member
    Glad you are ok.