Notices

Thread: You get what you pay for

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Brizzer, In general I am a handyman but I do pretty much anything including garden maintenance, courier services, clearances, etc. pretty much a dogs body.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    With lids passing a set standard I'd be inclined to believe cheap should be ok. I hit the ground a couple months back in a novelty lid (passed no standards) and had no worse than a lump on my head so I think proper lids must be fairly over-engineered.
    If there's one bit of kit more important than the bike it's the helmet, cheap is rubbish, end of.

If Arai, Shoei, schuberth etc spend 100s of thousands on developing, testing and proving their helmets are safest as well as the top racers wearing them for the track surely you can see it's got to perform better whatever standards the cheap lids might scape through.

Your decision obviously

With that amount of tumbles, maybe time to consider an advanced riding course such as www.wiltshireroadar.co.uk

You won't regret it.

Glad you're OK.
    Last edited by Aubz; 30-05-14 at 07:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YMFB View Post
    If there's one bit of kit more important than the bike it's the helmet, cheap is rubbish, end of.

If Arai, Shoei, schuberth etc spend 100s of thousands on developing, testing and proving their helmets are safest as well as the top racers wearing them for the track surely you can see it's got to perform better whatever standards the cheap lids might scape through.

Your decision obviously
    our eldest had a van pull out in front of him, the result has left him paralysed, he wrote to Shoei asking if they wanted his helmet for examination or as an example with a big crack in it , all he had was a slight headache, amongst the broken vertebrae, they replied, they didn't need it as they know their product is good. he still has it until the legal investigation is over . I would doubt a helmet a fifth of the cost would have given him as much protection

Glad you're ok (ish) !
    I've just upgraded my Tuzo kit to alpine stars.
    After reading your comments I'm kind of glad I did.
    Hope I never have to test them though.
    Speedy recovery.

I need a new helmet my Caberg is rusting! Should have been a fair weather rider.
    The best bit of kit I wear I think are the Triumph boots I have had for 10 years plus. A few new heels and soles but excellent even if a bit rough around the edges now

Platinum Member
    I would second the suggestion for the Advanced riding course (of ANY variety).
    I wouldn't want to speculate on this incident with scant details as that would be wrong, but it's easy to see that if the skills gained enable you to avoid one minor accident then it would save you a bike/your gear/your job etc.
    Very easy to justify in economic terms IMO.
    I think the volunteer groups like IAM and Rospa are great value for money, but there are also professional courses - I did one with Rapid Training who are all ex-coppers.