Notices

Thread: My Near Miss, that made my legs go to jelly ! HGV v Bike

Threaded View

1. My Near Miss, that made my legs go to jelly ! HGV v Bike 
    I thought it would be good to tell you what happened to me. Just reminded me after 20 plus years of riding don't get complacent, stay out of vulnerable positions.
    I was in Belgium last week and slipped on to a dual carriage way, leading in a group of three. Short slip road onto the carriageway. We we were taking the next junction off probably about 500 yards. Travelling at about 60 mph. A HGV came down the hill at a rate of knots, no limiter. Over took my fellow riders and sat with his cab next to me in the outside lane. Realising I was in a vulnerable position. I couldn't blast forward as their was a lorry in front that we were approaching at 70 ish. So looked at the exit coming up and thought, 5 seconds I am out of here. But the HGV just pulled over into my lane as that thought came. I emergency braked, thank **** for ABS, and thought SH1T it should just pass with a light clip, but unfortunately he had a double trailer and this one wasn't going to get passed. I stopped breaking and took my chances off the carriageway into a deep drainage ditch. Stayed up right, managed to get bike back up the steep side and then exited off. CLOSE does not describe it ! it was worse for my mates who had to wittness it !

Next time, if I enter a dual carriage way with an HGV I will either slow up very quickly and let it pass or blast away ! Yes we were astonished that he hadn't seen me as he had pulled out to over take us and I was in the lead. But that would have been cold comfort as I ate an HGV tyre !

Anyway, didn't effect my weeks ride at all, really enjoyed it and just road with more vigilance about vulnerable positions !

shifty
    Last edited by shiftyblake; 24-05-14 at 08:40 AM.
    Counting down until my next ride out!