Notices

Thread: Heavy

1. Heavy 
    Found out exactly how heavy my bike was last week when it fell over and I had to lift it up, wasn't made any easier as I had park it on uneven ground to drop a key back, must have been because I left it running it vibrated that last bit and gravity won.
    It was made more awkward as I had to hold the front brake on as I lifted it.... DOH!
    wrist still hurts, and I had to rest it on my knee so I could change my grip, got a nice frame shaped bruise. Was still better than knocking on doors to ask for help though...

your not the 1st nor the last..dropped my gpz1100(250kgs)in a car park and struggled like hell to lift it up but managed it with only a bruised ego(luckily)
    ride to work,work to live,live to ride

Banned
    There's a special way to pick up heavy bikes, I watched a woman show people how to do at a bike show

It's all in the wrist. I had almighty problems getting mine onto the centre stand 'til I was taught the technique. Simple now. Same with picking it up off the deck...need to know the 'trick'. My 'trick' is to ask 2 passers-by to help.
    I only have one vice…I lie.

Easy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6HTs9x3xBE

....tired and tested

NEVER park on uneven ground without being in gear. Problem solved!

I was backing into a gap to park on a very cambered road and very wet. A woman decided to push her pram (including child) off the pavement and into my back wheel. She screamed hysterically. I leapt on the brake and the bike slid gently out from under me. She gave me a mouthful and shoved off. A Sainsburys delivery van came round the corner and stopped before hitting me. Driver jumped out, picked the bike up as though it were a pushbike, wished me a good day and drove off. Nice.
    Last edited by Burbler; 21-05-14 at 07:42 PM.
    I only have one vice…I lie.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by QB1 View Post
    Yep that's what I saw at the show

Platinum Member
    I have only fell over once on my bike but don't do what I did.
    I lifted my 28 stone bike using the force of one leg.
    I had Grade 3 Hamstring pulls (My GP said it would have been better pain wise if I had broken it - less pain involved)
    Massive bruising behind my knee and on my arse which took weeks to sort out properly.

Pushhing the bike up is always better than trying to pull it towards you - and my one leg method is definitely not recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by QB1 View Post
    This is the method I learnt. I've not seen this video but a very similar one, with an American guy lifting up a Honda Goldwing that had been dropped (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8Er4FFEQ8I).

I parked my bike on uneven ground and it rolled forwards off its sidestand and fell over (I'd only had the thing about three weeks!) and managed to lift it up using this method. This is my first bike and thankfully hasn't happened again. You learn from your mistakes I guess! Thankfully the only damage was a snapped clutch lever (which I still havent replaced) and some slight scratches on the bar ends.
    "Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a moving car window"

2012 BMW S1000RR
    1999 Kawasaki ER500

facebook.com/upshiftmedia