Notices

Thread: Seatcovers,gel,sheepskin?, advice needed

1. Seatcovers,gel,sheepskin?, advice needed 
    The seat on my xjr has seen better days, so i've been looking at the custom covers on ebay,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-XJR...item1e8ae29b4e

Would i be better off avoiding the stitched type (water ingress) and just go for a replacement vinyl welded cover?

How easy to fit are these things?,I would prob buy an air stapler if I attempt to fit it myself...

BUT

I also get a numb bum after 1-2hrs in the saddle,so i've been reading about gel inserts and seat pads and sheepskin pads,so i'm wondering if I should just get the seat recovered and having gel inserted at the same time by someone who knows what they are doing

I don't want to spend a fortune but with a cover and gel already adding up to £100 or so,I want to spend once and wisely .

I'm wondering if there are any members that have modified their seats and can offer advice?....I can weld and turn,but never attempted seat recovering,give me metal any day

Hi Gavuk.
    I can do the whole job for you, but I need to see the seat before I can give you a price.
    There are several ways of making a seat more comfortable, gel pad, softer foam topper.....
    I have done loads of this type of thing for many of my customers and they all have said so much better and the miles just drift away...
    I am on a 7 week lead at present so if you do want me to do it, I can put the job up and contact when ready. You are only then without the seat for 2/3 days.
    Please have a look at the website www.cobra-leathers.co.uk
    Hope to see you soon
    Annie

Platinum Member
    I bought a gsxr bespoke seat cover in blue White & gsxr logo too.
    A guy on eBay in Weston super mare I think.
    £40 ish - Marine vinyl & stiching etc . Goes directly over your original seat with staples to secure.
    Use a hair dryer to make the vinyl maleable first.
    Very very happy with it - looks great too.

Thanks for the replies Annie and Rabb,I was talking to a fella at the Harp and crown who had one fitted and he was singing its praises too.
    I will be in touch Annie,would your 7 week lead time be the same if I get the cover and just need you to fit it and mod (foam/gel) the seat?.
    Can you give a ballpark figure?...by PM if you prefer
    I was offered a saddle with a cover already fitted,which may be of interest ,but I need to get a price first,but i will be in contact

many thanks

Gav

Morning,
    Just a new cover fitting £30 approx.
    However if you require a re-model first eg foam/gel pad.
    Gel pad £50 ish + fitting cover
    Foam £30 ish + fitting cover
    Foam/Gel pad + making and fitting cover £120 ish
    Happy decision making
    Annie

I recently purchased an Airhawk Cruser R - not cheap - but I don't regret it...

...and neither does my perineum....
    Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.