Notices

Thread: Halal Meat

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Ian R Crane worked in the Oilfield Services Industry for 20 years (1979-98). Today he is on a mission; a mission to ensure that the British public are made aware of the abomination that is about to be unleashed on their 'Green & Pleasant Land'.

In December 2012, the UK Government lifted the moratorium on the process known as Hydraulic Fracturing (FRACKING), pronouncing that the UK would be at the 'heart of the Shale Gas revolution'.

I've been to a few of Ians talks
    Fracking is definitely not the answer

Quote Originally Posted by Gavuk View Post
    I worked in a chicken factory for a while,all the birds were stunned then throats cut,this method allowed the birds heart to pump out the blood ,stopping the black bits found in some value chicken.

All birds killed in this fashion ,were Halal and Kosha,but were also sold in english supermarkets and places like Nandos with the method of production not stated,the birds didn't suffer unduly and there were gov vets on site monitoring at all times..

This is not something new I worked there 8 years ago,this media coverage is just stirring up racial prejudice,we have all been eating meat killed in this fashion for a long time...
    Same here. We probably worked for the same company....

There are a few reasons for using the Halal kill method. The first is saleability.... Once you have a certificate from the Halal Food Authority, the meat can be sold as either Halal, or not. The second is legislative. There are different rules regarding "religious" killing methods which make these methods favourable in some cases. There still has to be vets and animal welfare people present, as in any slaughter house so the animals welfare is the same. The third reason is quality, especially in white meat. If an animal is killed by electrocution, the sudden surge in blood pressure causes small veins to burst. This creates red blotches in the meat which can be unsightly and have an effect of flavour. The last reason is removal of blood. The best pump to remove blood from a carcass is the one nature designed for the task. Cost the producer nothing and is far more efficient that any man made pump.

Lastly, if the line stops with animals stunned, they have their throats cut by hand before they wake up or are electrocuted and discarded.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

I used to work in a prawn factory. Not once did i ever hang a prawn up and slit its throat... ;-)
    "the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd

Quote Originally Posted by Nelly View Post
    I used to work in a prawn factory. Not once did i ever hang a prawn up and slit its throat... ;-)
    Quite frankly any religous group who wanted their prawns dispatched any other way- are obviously very Shellfish people!

Diamond Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHqYKqqeHq4

Russell Brand's take on the original story in The Sun. You may not all agree, but he makes some excellent points with humour. A classic example of many a true word spoken in jest. Make your own judgements.
    Last edited by redken1; 10-05-14 at 09:05 PM.

Having worked in the meat trade for nearly 10 years back in the 70's, as well as shop work, it also included a spell in the old Borthwicks slaughter house in Stratton, very little puts me off a roast dinner these days but some of the things and sights I saw back then really can and did make you think, would the general public eat meat if they saw this?
    Like all trades there are good and there are bad, perhaps bad is not the right word for a slaughterman, uncaring would be better, one slaughterman would take down a beef animal with one clean shot with a bolt gun and do this repeatedly, where another would take 2 or 4 shots to get it right, then a chain would be placed around the rear right leg the animal, it would be hoisted into the air, as soon as it was up, it's throat would be cut and then to the next man on the line and the animal would be disemboweled and all this within a few moments of the slaughtermans bolt gun, would saying some sort of prayer at any stage help anything, how could it make any difference?
    I think as long as any animal is not made to suffer an unnesassary long and drawn out death then there's little more that can be done, we eat meat, to do that we have to kill animals bred for that purpose and death in any form is never a pleasant thing.

As for fracking, were doomed, doomed I tell you, to go down this road we're scraping the bottom of a very oily barrel.

Platinum Member
    Fracking will damage our water courses and more importantly it will do very strange things to the water table.
    Will our govt never learn ?
    Don't we have enough problems with water control (large scale flooding etc)
    Pure greed and the easy way out for our politicians again?

They won't be in power when the mistakes come to fruition!

I agree with you, Rabb. Perhaps fracking is more suited to large unpopulated spaces .... as in the USA. I would not wish there to be fracking under my house, and would also be concerned for the water table issues. That said, we, in the UK need to find more energy, and for national security reasons, 'locally sourced' energy.
    It's not about my ears ... it's about my ride!

We will never win because if you go for renewable (wind farms or solar) it's always "not in my back yard mate" or if in the middle of nowhere it will turn out to be an area of natural outstanding beauty. I prefer the nuclear route

Banned
    As ridiculous as nuclear power is I'd still rather they did that than started fracking.

It seems something may just have happened to reactor number 4 at Fukushima