Notices

Thread: Halal Meat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Halal Meat 
    There's been a lot of chest beating, moral outrage and finger pointing going on in the press lately due to several companies admitting that they serve Halal meat.

Now I understand that some people can't eat it due to their religious beliefs and I think they have every right to be upset that it is being served without correct labeling.
    But I find it hard to swallow (yeah I did that on purpose) all these people banging on about it being inhumane.

Is there really a humane way of killing an animal?

It's not like abattoirs are in the habit of tickling animals to death.

Banned
    You should listen to Ian R Crane in the wiki leaks thread

I'd have regulated slaughter houses that at least stun the animal before its killed any day... yes I know the beasts still suffer, but they suffer a hell of a more by not being stunned in this barbaric way. It's pathetic how spineless our country has become to allow this S#@t to happen.

A lot of Halal meat is stunned and then blessed before the throat is cut. I think it's Jewish meat can never be stunned.

I object to eating either without being told but to be honest I don't really give a toss if the animal was stunned and sliced or beaten down with a 2X4 and rusty nail, we do worse to each other and less eyebrows are raised.

I worked in a chicken factory for a while,all the birds were stunned then throats cut,this method allowed the birds heart to pump out the blood ,stopping the black bits found in some value chicken.

All birds killed in this fashion ,were Halal and Kosha,but were also sold in english supermarkets and places like Nandos with the method of production not stated,the birds didn't suffer unduly and there were gov vets on site monitoring at all times..

This is not something new I worked there 8 years ago,this media coverage is just stirring up racial prejudice,we have all been eating meat killed in this fashion for a long time...

Cheers Gav.
    I guess you can't argue with that.
    Thanks for setting us straight even though you've effectively killed the thread 😄

Anyone pro/anti fracking?

Sorry WB....

It wasn't a pleasant experience working in that industry,but I never saw anything that put me off eating chicken either.

We could tell the difference when they injected the birds with brine though ,the meat is moist but doesn't lift as clean from the bones as non injected,I think this has the same effect on pork where you don't always get crackling....que the replies, I rub in salt and i always have perfect crackling or I have a saucer of water in the oven...etc etc

I doubt we will get any real say in fracking ,it would be nice to think if/when it does happen its and british company that pays taxes and cannot overcharge us for the privilege though

Gav

Diamond Member
    Gav is right about this being old news, but that is not to say it shouldn't be revisited. Putting the animal welfare issue to one side for a moment, I would look very closely at the newspapers which carried the original Halal non-story and the timing. Is it just a coincidence that these papers have a very similar agenda to UKIP and their readers are about to go to the polls in the Euro elections? At a time when the country is divided, exploiting voters' fears is a very effective way of securing votes.
    Last edited by redken1; 09-05-14 at 06:35 AM.

Banned
    Strange that people think that by blessing an animal in the name of a made up entity before it's killed is going to make the slightest difference to anything

For my half penny worth ..... I believe it is more 'humane' to stun the animal before killing it.

Now, what about 'Fracking' ....... !
    It's not about my ears ... it's about my ride!