Having worked in the meat trade for nearly 10 years back in the 70's, as well as shop work, it also included a spell in the old Borthwicks slaughter house in Stratton, very little puts me off a roast dinner these days but some of the things and sights I saw back then really can and did make you think, would the general public eat meat if they saw this?
Like all trades there are good and there are bad, perhaps bad is not the right word for a slaughterman, uncaring would be better, one slaughterman would take down a beef animal with one clean shot with a bolt gun and do this repeatedly, where another would take 2 or 4 shots to get it right, then a chain would be placed around the rear right leg the animal, it would be hoisted into the air, as soon as it was up, it's throat would be cut and then to the next man on the line and the animal would be disemboweled and all this within a few moments of the slaughtermans bolt gun, would saying some sort of prayer at any stage help anything, how could it make any difference?
I think as long as any animal is not made to suffer an unnesassary long and drawn out death then there's little more that can be done, we eat meat, to do that we have to kill animals bred for that purpose and death in any form is never a pleasant thing.

As for fracking, were doomed, doomed I tell you, to go down this road we're scraping the bottom of a very oily barrel.