Thanks for the replies

Daddy cool: I'm with you regarding a good nights sleep and tend not to be able to function in the mornings until I've had a brew. I have purchased an inflatable mattress and I have a small gas stove and kettle from previous camping trips so all sorted on that front.

With regard the DSLR it is seven years old, so have been looking to upgrade anyway, is a lot of kit (three lenses) to lug around and to be honest I don't want the faff of having to change lenses depending on what I am photographing. I'm not just buying the camera for the trip as I intend using it when I go fly fishing as well. (Again with all the fishing kit, a DSLR is just too much to lug around especially if I am wading in the river). The camera that has been recommended to me by Simon Burfoot who is a member on here and is in the camera industry is the latest model and has loads of features that allow me a lot of creativity in my photography which is exactly what I am after. it also shoots HD video which my DSLR doesn't. I appreciate that the cameras on phones these days are really really good, but I'm after something that allows me a decent amount of control over the settings. Appreciate the thoughts and view points though.

In the end I have gone for a Canon Cybershot G16 on the recommendation of Simon. Its a little bit more than I was intending to spend but it comes with a 32gb memory card and a Manfrotto tripod (worth £118), for free and gives £30 cashback.