Notices

Thread: Do I get a fireblade

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Buy it mate, very well engineered and good fun to ride, age no obstacle, im 45 and ive got two, one for the road, a 98 rrw , and one for the track, a rr3

+1

If you buy a fireblade you'll only turn into a hooligan like Wes!! ha ha..
    go with your heart..test ride it first, if it feels good and makes you grin from ear to ear then buy it...
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'

Suck it and see.If you don't you'll never know.Ride it for the summer, if you get on with it,keep it and if you don't,get rid.Life's too short for all this procrastination !!! And don't let ANYONE tell you you're too old at 50,It's utter BOLLOX !!!

Too vague.

Have you always wanted a Blade? Is it in good condition? Do you have £3k?
    If the answer is yes then get it.

If you're struggling to pay the mortgage, have 3 kids and this is the first time you've thought about it. Then the answer is no.

It's like these BOGOF offers in the supermarket. 2x tins of spam for the price of one is great value...... if you like spam.

It's sold now ... dam

Mortgage paid up at 43 and I like spam.

It was more a question of is it to much bike for me as I've only be riding 7 months . Done almost 6k on a cb500f and before that a varadero 125 in that time in all the bad weather etc. I'm not a fast or risky rider, just happy to plod along and enjoy life.
    The bike I really would like is a 748 duke but as I've never ridden one ,
    thanks for all your advice

keep nodding :-)

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QB1 View Post
    Its not age that matters with sports bikes its how you ride them. You need to be very relaxed and not grip the bars. Being short helps too I can ride my R1 for miles no aches or pains at all and I'm sadly no spring chicken.
    I'm 6ft and 14 ish stone but I ride a sports bike all year round.
    I had a great trainer (Mark) ; his advice to me was

1. Relax & bend your arms
    2. Use your back muscles and don't put hardly any weight on your handlebars

If you do the above you won't have aching wrists or a stiff neck either.

Another thing I have learnt to do is to change your riding position occasionally and this relieves the stresses on vulnerable areas.

P.s. Im 49 this year and I dont have any problems with riding a sports bike.

Go for it !!!
    You only have one life - don't let age dictate your passions.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Hawkridge View Post
    It's sold now ... dam

Mortgage paid up at 43 and I like spam.

It was more a question of is it to much bike for me as I've only be riding 7 months . Done almost 6k on a cb500f and before that a varadero 125 in that time in all the bad weather etc. I'm not a fast or risky rider, just happy to plod along and enjoy life.
    The bike I really would like is a 748 duke but as I've never ridden one ,
    thanks for all your advice

keep nodding :-)
    You are only as fast as you turn the throttle. My first bike was a zx9r, seems a bit daunting at first, but you get used to it in no time.

I like blades, always have, 3.5 to 4 k I would say would get you a good un and Honda's have a good build rep.

Alternately buy my K4 gsxr 1000 off of me for £3500 so I can buy myself a zx10 ;-)

You will have a blast. If you want to do a few miles be prepared to feel a bit tired. i now have a Sprint ST 1050 which is much more comfy and still fast enough !
    Counting down until my next ride out!

the 2004 blade was a nice bike. Not quite as sharp and evil as the ones before or after.

It is still quite a bike for an in experienced rider, but that doesn't mean it cant be a good one if you build up your experience and take it steady.

two good mates started riding at the same time as me, one went CB125 for test, CB500 to improve on and then stopped because he kept crashing it,

I went Yamaha DT125, Briefly Divvy 600 (Found it way too slow and boring within a couple of weeks), CB750, CBR600, VTR1000, Blade then on to R1. I spent a fortune and wasn't happy until I got the Blade and spent every penny I had.

3rd one passed on a borrowed 125 then get a blade. He never crashed and was an IAM rider within a year or two. Initial insurance was a killer, but soon started coming down.

In a very rambling way, go for one if you are comfortable and like it but take it steady while you learn to ride it.