Notices

Thread: Limp-wristed :(

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. Limp-wristed :( 
    Hello,

I have just done my Das on a Divvy XJ600. On my old 125 I could bimble about for hours, but a few days of instruction on the bigger bike and my wrists really hurt. I think this is just because I am a big wuss and have been hanging on for dear life, instead of relaxing into it, but apart from needing to chill out a bit, is there anything else I could be doing wrong? Is the change of riding position likely to have made a difference? The right one has stopped hurting now, but am definitely twinging (is that a word?) in the left wrist. Or is it just that am old and decrepid...
    Man has always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much...the wheel, New York, wars and so on...while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man...for precisely the same reason.

Might just be the position on the Divvy being different to your 125.

Banned
    I think you have it covered with the handing on tight point you make, once more relaxed on the particular bike I expect it will go away

You're being a big wuss and clinging on for dear life! ;-) you could try adjusting your brake and clutch levers round the bars slightly to be in line with your forearms so you're not riding with bent wrists. Just loosen them off, rotate a bit tighten off and test. Make sure its all done up well and none of the brake and clutch lines are snagging or pulling when you rotate the bars from lock to lock.

Divvys all vibe at around 4000 rpm which can cause cramps and pins and needles in the hands and feet, so it might be this. Id relax more, but if it turns out to be vibe related, balancing carbs, replacing engine mount rubber can help. Heavier bar end weights can dull the vibe. It's a characteristic of this bike. Easiest solution is to use gears to stay out of that rev range. You know you're in it when your mirrors go ape**** and the coppers behind go blurry :-)
    Good luck and Congrats on passing the DAS :-)

Could be a couple of things, the suspension could be set up badly pushing the rider forward and putting more pressure on the arms, body position also, try sitting closer to the tank using your legs to grip as well, especially if you become aware of this whilst riding around.
    cheers wes

Thanks everyone, . It's the school bike, not mine, so I can't really fiddle around with it, but I did notice the vibration issue between 4 and 5k revs. And napalm, thanks for your congrats, but they're a bit premature, I passed mod1 this week but couldn't get a mod 2 booked for a couple more weeks...

@Wes i don't reckon you could ever set up a divvy so badly that you'd be pushed forward, even with collapsed forks! It's the most sit up and beg bike I've ever been on. :-)

@Florentine I don't know what mod1 and mod 2 are. Guess I'm lucky! Congratulations anyway, sounds like a hurdle successfully jumped to me!

@napalm: mod1 is the most fiendish torture known to mankind. Had its use been permitted in WWII, it would have shortened the conflict by at least 3 years.... Mod2 is a bimble around Salisbury, wired for sound and followed by an examiner chappie...
    Man has always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much...the wheel, New York, wars and so on...while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man...for precisely the same reason.

Congrats on mod 1 and good luck with mod 2. Do you know what sort of bike you'll go for when you're all sorted ?

Eveni'n our Wes