Notices

Thread: are we hard done by speeding in wiltshire

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    On my last insurance renewal I was asked about points, points pending or courses which avoided points and they all were taken into account!

Quote Originally Posted by Davezthomas View Post
    On my last insurance renewal I was asked about points, points pending or courses which avoided points and they all were taken into account!
    I stand to be corrected but those speed awareness courses are not centrally registered so they can ask but if you don't tell they can't find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Col View Post
    Crap this speeding tosh...gives some patronising plods and lifes moaners chance to bleat on and make themselves appear important.

You only have to go a short distance to see the complete lunacy of all these stupid speed signs that have no bearing whatsoever to the road...none whatsoever...it is all a cost to the taxpayer and basically a waste. In reality you can only go as slow, or as fast, as the prevailing traffic and weather conditions.

Wow a hanging offence to hit 40 in a uninhabited 30 area...pathetic nonsense. Motorways down to 40 in the middle of the night !!!! wtf is that all about ???

As WR6133 rightly states that cameras , and I would add those stupid flashing speed signs, are a bloody distraction more likely to cause accidents.

All the paint on the roads..'SLOW!!!' and big signs 'BEND' must cost us a fortune.....use the cash to fill the bloody potholes.

Another hazard are those speed bumps and humps ... in the night and you get dazzled by some twat and their led car lights then hit one it could be 'goodnight vienna'

Speed faff is a self serving money spinner for the state and employ egotistical patronising twats to preach their blinkered tosh.

Have a nice day

Stupid signs........... Best one I think I've seen is the big ones on the motorways that say " sign not in use" REALLY !!!!! I mean WTF !!!!
    "look busy......... Jesus is watching you" !!!

If you think your hard done by in Wiltshire then try getting caught in Reading, I don't know anyone that's ever been offered a speed awareness course....

Cameras everywhere, unmarked cars, lots of panda cars about, its like a second level of paranoia!

Think the answer to this is simple - funding was withdrawn in this area for the speed awareness courses, pretty certain I heard that somewhere

I know you have to inform your insurers, but don't they still generally disregard the first 3 points you have?

Platinum Member
    so they can ask but if you don't tell they can't find out.
    I don't know whether you can be found out or not, but I think it's generally unwise not to tell insurers the truth.

I have either had to provide a copy of my license for my insurance company to keep on file or when I have made a claim they have called the DVLA with me on a call to confirm my license and point history before accepting and paying the claim.

Probably best to tell them if you have points, speed awareness courses etc, its all on file somewhere.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista View Post
    I don't know whether you can be found out or not, but I think it's generally unwise not to tell insurers the truth.
    Tell them the truth they can confirm or check and nothing more. My last insurer phoned after I paid for their policy and asked me to declare any spent or unspent criminal convictions. I know they can't find out the spent ones and I'm not obligated to declare them so they were just trying to get me to shoot myself in the foot and have a hiked premium, illegally infact as the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act states clearly spent don't have to be declared and can not be asked about except under certain conditions of which none apply to insurers.

Now a speed awareness course is not even a conviction (a fixed penalty is). So if insurers ask for driving convictions if you did a speed course then you have no convictions. If they ask specifically about you having done a course then you should answer honestly but if a central database on these things lacks then it's down to you if you declare it or not, I wouldn't.

Platinum Member
    but if a central database on these things lacks then it's down to you if you declare it or not, I wouldn't.
    I agree that it's not a conviction but sometimes they do specifically ask about the course.
    Are you 100% sure that they don't currently record this anywhere and insurers can definitely not find about it?
    Suppose someone follows your advice or they decide to start recording this and you turn out to be wrong? If people lie then they can have claims refused and in some cases be pursued personally for 5 and 6 figure sums.

I would tell the truth with the exception of any questions I knew to be illegal (I agree with you that companies are not always right).

I accept you right to hold a different opinion but I think it's worth discussing the issue so at least people might think about the consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista View Post
    Are you 100% sure that they don't currently record this anywhere and insurers can definitely not find about it?
    As I said when I first mentioned this I stand to be corrected.

As far as I can tell there is no straightforward answer it depends on where the course was done and who provided it. It seems some local forces run their own courses (or outsource) so data here is only held locally. Some forces it would seem contract the course out to a company that provides nationally so that would be edging toward a database though one held by a private company, not sure how the law would work here if an insurance company wanted to access it. I assume it's accessible by the Police so they don't offer you 2 courses in a row but I think to know if an insurer can access it legally would require comment from somebody in the legal side of that industry. If you do one that's "locally" done I'm fairly sure it cannot be found out as there are cases online of people doing one in one area then one in another despite being within the time window where you are not meant to be offered another.

I've scraped pepipoo, various police force websites and a couple of legal forums to conclude the above. So I could be way off the mark as none are definitive or totally reliable sources. Personally though I wouldn't declare a course but I've got a fairly don't give a stuff attitude to the law and establishment in general so taking my advice should come with a large warning.

As I've already said you should answer honestly just I wouldn't.