Notices

Thread: Wikileaks

Hybrid View

Diamond Member
    Although I’m not a conspiracy theorist per se, I would certainly class myself as a doubter who tends to assess each issue/case on its own merit rationally before passing judgement. People are not born conspiracy theorists or doubters – cynical attitudes are so prevalent in society today because in the past, so many of those in positions of trust in public life have either conspired in cover-ups, lied or manipulated stats/facts to further their own interests, agendas or policies. This is especially true of successive governments and this point could not be illustrated with more clarity than in the case of why so many of our brave young men and women died in Iraq. Let us not forget why we invaded the gulf state and former PM Blair’s claim in his government’s ‘sexed up’ dossier, that, Saddam Hussein had continued to produce WMDs “beyond doubt”. Moreover, I believe we should always question, challenge the way in which alleged facts are selected (cherry-picked) and presented by politicians of all political persuasions. Allow me to elaborate by pretending to be the Downing Street Press Officer issuing the two following hypothetical press releases. 1“Three Million landlords in the UK are in receipt of housing benefit and that can not continue. To tackle this, the government unveiled plans to embark on a staged building programme to construct affordable housing.” 2“Three Million unemployed in the UK are claiming housing benefit and that can not continue. To tackle this, the government unveiled plans to cap the amount of housing benefits paid out.” Apart from the figure (I just plucked it out of the air), both of the first sentences are factual. Selection of course depends solely on the political agenda of the government of the day.
    Last edited by redken1; 27-03-14 at 12:45 PM.