Notices

Thread: First Test Ride - What to Expect

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Banned
    So Rob you're thinking of buying a ballistic missile because you like the look of it??
    I too like the look of it but I can't have a sports bike as I value my license too much. Speed gets good to me, the faster I go the faster I want to go. I would probably kill myself on one, but I would at least die happy with a big grin on my face

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltshire builders View Post
    Torques?!!!!!
    I HATE it when people say that. Those idiots at Top Gear started it. We must put a stop to it now!
    I did motor vehicle engineering at school. I remember the teacher explaining torque to us as "a twisting turning effect"

After never having this problem all i can say is whats the place like your buying from good past servies friendly staff that know about the bike.
    You wont have any problems till you own it after a few weeks and do you know what to do if it dose is there a good market for second hand will it grow in expences for servies.
    Take someone with you to follow you they might jog your memory about bad or good points of driving.
    Good luck
    A good ride is any ride you can walk away from, a GREAT ride is if you can use the bike afterward.”

Don`t forget to ask about servicing ! hope you have a deep wallet

Quote Originally Posted by MayallRob View Post
    There is one bike above all others that I've been in love with since it was first released in 2010 - the BMW S1000RR.

I've been saving solidly for almost four years now and am in a position where I am able to buy one. I've booked myself in for a test ride at the BMW Motorrad dealer in Oxford for early April. It's a demo bike that I'll be using.

I've had my bike for over 2 years (a 500cc Kawasaki) so I'm not new to biking, but I'm looking for tips as to what I should be looking out for during a test ride.

One of the main things I want to check out is the riding position - I don't want to buy a really uncomfortable sportsbike! But... what else should I be checking, and what can I expect to get out of the test ride besides a feel for the bikes performance and handling? How long does a test ride usually take, where should I go etc etc.

Any tips or advice is appreciated.
    Not sure if you've seen it but it looks like all the BMW dealerships are doing test rides this weekend with a chance to win a European Road trip and the use of a BMW bike for 3 months - might be worth checking out. I saw something about it on Twitter.

Hi Rob

I had a test ride on a K1300R end of last year at Oxford BMW. A good bunch of lads in there.
    Dealt with Nathan Thomas who was polite and not pushy in any way to 'seal the deal'. Didn't give any time limit on the test ride. Nice coffee on high stools or sofa chairs, bike videos and mags also available.

Started on a nice straight road, so the A40 is just outside the dealership so headed off towards Witney, and carried on through to Burford, then the A361 towards Chipping Norton and back to Oxford via the A44. Nice little bimble that.

You should also go on to www.eurokclub.com which is a good forum for all models of BMW bike. A good knowledgeable bunch of lads with a wealth of experience. You'll find all you need to know about your future steed, the good and the bad points. Not sure is your buying new or used, if used, make sure it has a full BMWSH and take out an extended warranty issued by Mondial. These bikes can cost literally thousands to put right if they go wrong.

The rest of the lads on here have given you sound advice. Nothing more to add except, have a great test ride and stay safe.

What about hiring one for a weekend (if you can). It's a lot of money to spend and a hell of a jump. Running costs will be more (servicing, the cost of tyres and how long they last)

Quote Originally Posted by gibbo View Post
    Hi Rob

I had a test ride on a K1300R end of last year at Oxford BMW. A good bunch of lads in there.
    Dealt with Nathan Thomas who was polite and not pushy in any way to 'seal the deal'. Didn't give any time limit on the test ride. Nice coffee on high stools or sofa chairs, bike videos and mags also available.

Started on a nice straight road, so the A40 is just outside the dealership so headed off towards Witney, and carried on through to Burford, then the A361 towards Chipping Norton and back to Oxford via the A44. Nice little bimble that.

You should also go on to www.eurokclub.com which is a good forum for all models of BMW bike. A good knowledgeable bunch of lads with a wealth of experience. You'll find all you need to know about your future steed, the good and the bad points. Not sure is your buying new or used, if used, make sure it has a full BMWSH and take out an extended warranty issued by Mondial. These bikes can cost literally thousands to put right if they go wrong.

The rest of the lads on here have given you sound advice. Nothing more to add except, have a great test ride and stay safe.
    Hey gibbo,

It's Nathan Thomas that got in touch with me about the test ride and has organised it for me. He comes across as being a sensible guy in our emails so far and looking forward to meeting him.

Your route sounds good, I may well try and do similar on my test ride. I'm definitely in no rush to buy this bike, I don't mind waiting for the perfect model to come along with regards to price, mileage, service history etc.

Kevinb - I hadn't considered hiring one before. Definitely something I'll check out. I might have a look at some of the BMW / S1000RR forums and see what people say about running / servicing costs and see if there are any particular bad points to look out for when viewing.
    "Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a moving car window"

2012 BMW S1000RR
    1999 Kawasaki ER500

facebook.com/upshiftmedia

am sure I don't have to tell you, but go carefull if your going to take the bike round the country roads as they are still covered with a lot off grit and mud from the floods they had round that area

Why not pre-ride the roads on your bike, then you know what's coming and you can compare them on the Bimmer?
    It's not good to arrive at a corner you don't know a little hot, then find it tightens on you!!

Stu
    Anyone fancy a pint?