Notices

Thread: First Test Ride - What to Expect

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Chatterbox
    Stunning machines
    Everything else is shyte

Quote Originally Posted by Swanny View Post
    I've never ridden one but the Fireblade has always had fantastic reviews and is very user friendly. I'd try one of those for comparison
    I didn't like the Blade. It was too...........Honda!
    But you're right. If the s1000rr is the nutters choice the Blade is the sensible mans (super)bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
    Hi Rob,
    Advice from me.
    1. Try a few bikes
    2. If you decide to rev a hypersport bike make sure you have a good grip on the handlebars (it'll wrench your arms off)
    3. Riding position is so important
    4. Relax and enjoy - you must lightly but firmly hold you handlebars, but don't put too much weight on the bars otherwise your wrists will ache and your neck will too (you have to use the muscles in your back properly riding a sports bike)
    5. Don't ever put a sportbike handlebar on full lock when turning at low speeds (you'll fall off)
    6. Don't look away from the road for split second.
    7. If you use the rear brake - be gentle so you don't lock it up.

Above all - have fun & relax.

(I'm getting a HP4 in about a year and a half - and I can't wait)
    Good tips there Rabb. Are the rear brakes on sportsbikes quite susceptible to locking up then? I hadn't considered this. I've never had any problems on my bike and so never thought about it before.

The HP4 is a monster of a bike. Unfortunately too much for me I think, in terms of power, cost and insurance. One day though perhaps... When you get one I'll be very jealous!
    "Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a moving car window"

2012 BMW S1000RR
    1999 Kawasaki ER500

facebook.com/upshiftmedia

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MayallRob View Post
    Good tips there Rabb. Are the rear brakes on sportsbikes quite susceptible to locking up then? I hadn't considered this. I've never had any problems on my bike and so never thought about it before.

The HP4 is a monster of a bike. Unfortunately too much for me I think, in terms of power, cost and insurance. One day though perhaps... When you get one I'll be very jealous!
    As far as rear brakes are concerned - go gently ; remember you will have a lot more power and torque at the rear wheel - locking up is 'more' of a posibility where higher power/torques are involved.
    Smooth and gradual does it.......

As far as rear brakes are concerned - go gently ; remember you will have a lot more power and torque at the rear wheel - locking up is 'more' of a posibility where higher power/torques are involved.
    Smooth and gradual does it.......
    And not just the rear brakes. The front will be far more powerful than you are used too as well. I use only my index finger on my R6 and that's including the odd emergency stop too!

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Rob,

I took one of these on a test ride in 2012 just before I bought the F4, the power is unbelievable and especially if you get given the RED key. That is full power and not good for you licence.

It was an epic machine but too much power to rein in as it just encourages to go faster and faster, I went for the F4 because 140BHP is more than enough to get you in trouble. I preferred the riding position of the F4 and couldn't get on with the ergonomics of the the RR, I am sure with some fettling it would be perfect but my 2 hour test ride didn't allow it. The guys at Oxford BMW are a good bunch, my next door neighbor works for the MINI side of that garage.

Just take it very steady and try as many types of road as you can, there are a few great roads near Oxford but if you never ridden them it is not a great idea to try them if you are unfamiliar with them. Above all enjoy it mate.

Dream bikes can be a double edged sword, but luckily I fell in love with the F4 as soon as I rode it. The looks it gets are amazing, tends to get all the attention.
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

http://tbex.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Senna(Dan) View Post
    Rob,

I took one of these on a test ride in 2012 just before I bought the F4, the power is unbelievable and especially if you get given the RED key. That is full power and not good for you licence.

It was an epic machine but too much power to rein in as it just encourages to go faster and faster, I went for the F4 because 140BHP is more than enough to get you in trouble. I preferred the riding position of the F4 and couldn't get on with the ergonomics of the the RR, I am sure with some fettling it would be perfect but my 2 hour test ride didn't allow it. The guys at Oxford BMW are a good bunch, my next door neighbor works for the MINI side of that garage.

Just take it very steady and try as many types of road as you can, there are a few great roads near Oxford but if you never ridden them it is not a great idea to try them if you are unfamiliar with them. Above all enjoy it mate.

Dream bikes can be a double edged sword, but luckily I fell in love with the F4 as soon as I rode it. The looks it gets are amazing, tends to get all the attention.
    Thanks for the advice Dan. I realise that the BMW is a brutal machine, and the test ride may very well terrify me so much that it puts me off the bike!

I think I'm going to have all the rider aids on and set to max. I believe the traction control at the highest setting limits the power a bit? At the moment, for my first test ride I'm not overly interested in the power of the bike, I want to see what the riding position and handling is like as I've never been out on a sportsbike.

I've never been to Oxford so was wondering where to go for my test ride, and how long I'd be allowed out for? I had a quick look on Google maps, I was thinking of going north up the A44 and then off to some country roads?
    "Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a moving car window"

2012 BMW S1000RR
    1999 Kawasaki ER500

facebook.com/upshiftmedia

The road from witney to farringdon is awesome. Very twisty and a couple of hump-back bridges if you fancy getting some air.
    The Aylesbury road is good too. Very fast but lots of speed cameras. You can stop at the Ducati showroom and get a tea to settle your nerves befor heading home.

higher power/torques are involved.
    Torques?!!!!!
    I HATE it when people say that. Those idiots at Top Gear started it. We must put a stop to it now!

Diamond Member
    Personally I would give NOG a miss and take a longer run out to Bahnstormers in Alton as I think they're a better dealer based on my experience. Then you can try the A272......best on a weekday as there's less chance of a camera.