Notices

Thread: First Test Ride - What to Expect

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Excellent advice from everyone on here - thanks!

QB1 - Hopefully I'll be able to have a couple of test rides before actually buying one. I'm in no rush to get one, I've already waited 4 years and waiting a few more months / years will make the cost of the bike come down as well as my insurance.

Brizzer - Good tips, I daresay I'll be terrified of the bike and will be driving it around at 5% of its actual power, so no fear of over riding it! I'm hoping on taking my GoPro camera with me to record the test ride so will link you to the video, though it will probably just be me screaming in terror and laughing from pure enjoyment!

Scotty - Your response was brilliant. Unfortunately I'm based in Swindon and the dealer is in Oxford. I've looked it up on Google Maps, the area looks pretty decent for a test ride but will be unfamiliar to me nonetheless. I'll be taking it slow and carefully. I actually hadn't considered test riding other litre bikes for comparison, I've always had my heart set on the S1000RR. I've always like the Japanese litre bikes, I might have to give them a go...? And don't worry, I'll be sure to have traction control on its highest setting!

Wiltshire Builders - A lot of advice that I greatly appreciate. I realise that the performance of the bike is going to be unlike anything I have ever experienced. I'll be taking it very easy and don't I'll have the balls to go anywhere near 9000 revs!

Dabz - I understand completely what you are saying. The S1000RR is definitely my dream bike, I have it set as the desktop background on my PC to remind me to work and save hard to get one. Like QB1 said - I feel like if I didn't get one I'd always regret it! So I'm really hoping the test ride goes well and I feel comfortable with the bike.

Snowy - Insurance quotes are a little ridiculous, but I was expecting this. Its affordable, but only just! I've sat on a few S1000RRs and was tall enough to fit comfortably on, but I've never actually ridden one.

Some of my friends and family think I'm insane for buying this bike, but to me it makes sense. I feel like I should buy one whilst I am still young enough to fully enjoy and appreciate it, and while I don't have the responsibilities of a family to worry about, something I'm sure many of you will appreciate.

I recently went to the MCN London Motorcycle Show and sat on a few of the different bikes there, but I kept going back to the BMW. The asymmetrical looks of it, the pure brutal power and the reviews I have read just tell me that it is the right bike to buy.

I appreciate any more advice or tips that anyone has to give, or even share some of your test ride experiences?

Here's a quick photo from the MCN show:

"Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a moving car window"

2012 BMW S1000RR
    1999 Kawasaki ER500

facebook.com/upshiftmedia

At the end of the day it's an awesome bike, absolutely stunning to look at and you know that turning up to a bike meet on it you'll get lots of admiring glances. I'm very jealous
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

Banned
    I've never ridden one but the Fireblade has always had fantastic reviews and is very user friendly. I'd try one of those for comparison

Quote Originally Posted by MayallRob View Post
    Excellent advice from everyone on here - thanks!

QB1 - Hopefully I'll be able to have a couple of test rides before actually buying one. I'm in no rush to get one, I've already waited 4 years and waiting a few more months / years will make the cost of the bike come down as well as my insurance.

Brizzer - Good tips, I daresay I'll be terrified of the bike and will be driving it around at 5% of its actual power, so no fear of over riding it! I'm hoping on taking my GoPro camera with me to record the test ride so will link you to the video, though it will probably just be me screaming in terror and laughing from pure enjoyment!

Scotty - Your response was brilliant. Unfortunately I'm based in Swindon and the dealer is in Oxford. I've looked it up on Google Maps, the area looks pretty decent for a test ride but will be unfamiliar to me nonetheless. I'll be taking it slow and carefully. I actually hadn't considered test riding other litre bikes for comparison, I've always had my heart set on the S1000RR. I've always like the Japanese litre bikes, I might have to give them a go...? And don't worry, I'll be sure to have traction control on its highest setting!

Wiltshire Builders - A lot of advice that I greatly appreciate. I realise that the performance of the bike is going to be unlike anything I have ever experienced. I'll be taking it very easy and don't I'll have the balls to go anywhere near 9000 revs!

Dabz - I understand completely what you are saying. The S1000RR is definitely my dream bike, I have it set as the desktop background on my PC to remind me to work and save hard to get one. Like QB1 said - I feel like if I didn't get one I'd always regret it! So I'm really hoping the test ride goes well and I feel comfortable with the bike.

Snowy - Insurance quotes are a little ridiculous, but I was expecting this. Its affordable, but only just! I've sat on a few S1000RRs and was tall enough to fit comfortably on, but I've never actually ridden one.

Some of my friends and family think I'm insane for buying this bike, but to me it makes sense. I feel like I should buy one whilst I am still young enough to fully enjoy and appreciate it, and while I don't have the responsibilities of a family to worry about, something I'm sure many of you will appreciate.

I recently went to the MCN London Motorcycle Show and sat on a few of the different bikes there, but I kept going back to the BMW. The asymmetrical looks of it, the pure brutal power and the reviews I have read just tell me that it is the right bike to buy.

I appreciate any more advice or tips that anyone has to give, or even share some of your test ride experiences?

Here's a quick photo from the MCN show:

Nice picture of you on the bike Rob but this one looks even better

Banned
    Baron Von Grumble had one for a very short while but he got rid of it

Here's a vid of his and his mods

I love the look of the 2012 Fireblade

Banned

Tasty

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Cool View Post
    Nice picture of you on the bike Rob but this one looks even better
    I'll have the bird you can keep the bike

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    I'll have the bird you can keep the bike
    I'll take both please - I'm greedy like that ;-)

Platinum Member
    Hi Rob,
    Advice from me.
    1. Try a few bikes
    2. If you decide to rev a hypersport bike make sure you have a good grip on the handlebars (it'll wrench your arms off)
    3. Riding position is so important
    4. Relax and enjoy - you must lightly but firmly hold you handlebars, but don't put too much weight on the bars otherwise your wrists will ache and your neck will too (you have to use the muscles in your back properly riding a sports bike)
    5. Don't ever put a sportbike handlebar on full lock when turning at low speeds (you'll fall off)
    6. Don't look away from the road for split second.
    7. If you use the rear brake - be gentle so you don't lock it up.

Above all - have fun & relax.

(I'm getting a HP4 in about a year and a half - and I can't wait)