Notices

Thread: First Test Ride - What to Expect

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. First Test Ride - What to Expect 
    There is one bike above all others that I've been in love with since it was first released in 2010 - the BMW S1000RR.

I've been saving solidly for almost four years now and am in a position where I am able to buy one. I've booked myself in for a test ride at the BMW Motorrad dealer in Oxford for early April. It's a demo bike that I'll be using.

I've had my bike for over 2 years (a 500cc Kawasaki) so I'm not new to biking, but I'm looking for tips as to what I should be looking out for during a test ride.

One of the main things I want to check out is the riding position - I don't want to buy a really uncomfortable sportsbike! But... what else should I be checking, and what can I expect to get out of the test ride besides a feel for the bikes performance and handling? How long does a test ride usually take, where should I go etc etc.

Any tips or advice is appreciated.
    "Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a moving car window"

2012 BMW S1000RR
    1999 Kawasaki ER500

facebook.com/upshiftmedia

Quote Originally Posted by MayallRob View Post
    There is one bike above all others that I've been in love with since it was first released in 2010 - the BMW S1000RR.

I've been saving solidly for almost four years now and am in a position where I am able to buy one. I've booked myself in for a test ride at the BMW Motorrad dealer in Oxford for early April. It's a demo bike that I'll be using.

I've had my bike for over 2 years (a 500cc Kawasaki) so I'm not new to biking, but I'm looking for tips as to what I should be looking out for during a test ride.

One of the main things I want to check out is the riding position - I don't want to buy a really uncomfortable sportsbike! But... what else should I be checking, and what can I expect to get out of the test ride besides a feel for the bikes performance and handling? How long does a test ride usually take, where should I go etc etc.

Any tips or advice is appreciated.
    The one thing I would say is that when you've not experienced riding a sports bike it'll probably take a lot longer than one test ride to decide whether you like the riding position. It did for me anyway.

I've been riding for years and when I rode my first proper sports bike a few years ago I bloody hated it, nearly fell off when I pulled off, scared me to death the limited lock to turn the thing, found it uncomfortable beyond belief, hated the riding position, didnt like the way you couldnt see much with your head down all the time and couldnt see how anyone in their right mind could ever ride/want one for. It took me several decent long rides to even start to click with it and now on my third sports bike I absolutely love them can easily ride several hundred miles in a day no worries about riding in wet/crap weather etc., and cant imagine having a sit up and beg again, ever! The secret is to relax and dont put any weight on your arms easier said than done the first few times you ride one though.

As for how long you'll get and where you can go it'll generally depend on the dealer I've known some who will just hand over the keys and say see you in a couple of hours some will follow you round the block for 10 minutes. Hopefully someone who has been to the dealer you have in mind can help a bit more.

Hope that helps a bit.

Me I'd love a BMW S1000RR - ENJOY THE RIDE
    Last edited by QB1; 11-03-14 at 04:54 PM.

don't over ride the bike try relax your arms and use your legs more for grip, get used to the brakes and power and leaning the bike when turning, but it will be hard to tell if you would want a sports bike with 1 test ride, and report back what you think of the bike there supposed to be amazing bikes have fun ride safe

Take it along roads that you're familiar with, an unfamiliar bike (making four times the power you're used to) on unfamiliar roads won't tell you much. You have to try and be objective - you'll be riding the object of four years' desires and hard saving up (do you have a poster of one on our bedroom wall?) so if you don't like any aspect of it you have to be honest with yourself (which, given these circumstances, won't be easy). As you have the money in the bank (have you had an insurance quote yet?) it might be worth trying a few other litre bikes for a valid comparison rather than ride the S thou in isolation. On its own it will feel like an absolute missile in comparison with your 500 (unbelievably smooth and fast, but also big and heavy), but until you try some of the other similar bikes you have nothing valid to compare it with. You never know, you might actually prefer something like a Blade (which, in honesty, is a better road bike).

Also, ensure that the traction control is on, it could save you a lot of money and potential embarrassment.
    Racing is life, anything before or after is just waiting.
    Steve McQueen

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
    Take it along roads that you're familiar with, an unfamiliar bike (making four times the power you're used to) on unfamiliar roads won't tell you much. You have to try and be objective - you'll be riding the object of four years' desires and hard saving up (do you have a poster of one on our bedroom wall?) so if you don't like any aspect of it you have to be honest with yourself (which, given these circumstances, won't be easy). As you have the money in the bank (have you had an insurance quote yet?) it might be worth trying a few other litre bikes for a valid comparison rather than ride the S thou in isolation. On its own it will feel like an absolute missile in comparison with your 500 (unbelievably smooth and fast, but also big and heavy), but until you try some of the other similar bikes you have nothing valid to compare it with. You never know, you might actually prefer something like a Blade (which, in honesty, is a better road bike).

Also, ensure that the traction control is on, it could save you a lot of money and potential embarrassment.
    Good to see you back on here Scotty Your input has been missed. Hope your'e on the mend and up and about again soon mate

Sorry to go off topic there Mayallrob. Can't really comment on the subject as don't know a great deal about sportsbikes. Good luck with your quest though.

I know what you mean about the s1000rr. I love them too.

As superbikes go the BM is the daddy. Obviously you know that and that's why you want it!
    Like Mr Scott said this bike is a completely different animal to what you're used to.
    It will out-perform you all day long and more than likely highlight your short comings rather than flatter your riding style.
    I know 2 years riding might seem a lot but it still means you're relatively new.

Things to note:

The acceleration will be brutal. This will seem really exciting and your adrenaline will be flowing but ask yourself if you could live with it everyday.

The engine braking will be brutal. Learning to use this is an art. Get it wrong and you could end up with a testicle necklace. In my pre-slipper clutch days locking up the back wheel was very common.

The way the power is delivered will be different. Most sports bikes don't make much power until 9,000 rpm and then it all comes at once. Take it easy at first and be gentle with the throttle. The front wheel will be hovering at this point which will feel strange. Don't make any sudden direction changes or braking and definitely don't wind it on hoping to wheelie!

The riding position will be uncomfortable but there are little tweeks you can make to get more comfort. Risers, lower rear sets, adjust the levers, gel seat etc...

Write down exactly what you want from your next bike and then you can see if it ticks the boxes.

You may find it ticks them all but I'm pretty sure it wont tick any....... just like every other superbike.
    You don't buy one with your head, because they make no sense at all.

I look forward to seeing the pics of your new bavarian missile soon!

Scotty makes a good point about being honest with yourself. I made that exact mistake when I test rode the Daytona 675 which was the bike I'd had a picture on my wall of. I didn't enjoy the ride, not right for me, but I still bought it. Eventually manned up and swapped it for the street triple which doesn't do it for me in the looks department but is the perfect bike for me in terms of riding.
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

But Dabz if you'd never tried it you'd have always wished you had.

Quote Originally Posted by QB1 View Post
    But Dabz if you'd never tried it you'd have always wished you had.
    Yup good point, I'd still want one now if I hadn't had one. In fact if I had the money I'd still have one in addition to the street triple
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

Diamond Member
    Get an online insurance quote and go from there. I can't even get my feet on the pegs of an RR so its not for me. Most powerful bike I have taken for a test ride had 160 bhp much less than the RR. I loved the engine but at the end of the day I didn't trust myself enough to buy it. Ended up dropping 60 bhp but probably having more fun because I have to ride my bike rather than just sit on it and open the throttle. What you're considering is a massive jump in power and cost - are you really sure your ability is up to it after just two years?

Edit: Great advice from Scotty and WB based on real world experience.
    Last edited by Snowy; 11-03-14 at 08:12 PM.