Notices

Thread: First Test Ride - What to Expect

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by MayallRob View Post
    There is one bike above all others that I've been in love with since it was first released in 2010 - the BMW S1000RR.

I've been saving solidly for almost four years now and am in a position where I am able to buy one. I've booked myself in for a test ride at the BMW Motorrad dealer in Oxford for early April. It's a demo bike that I'll be using.

I've had my bike for over 2 years (a 500cc Kawasaki) so I'm not new to biking, but I'm looking for tips as to what I should be looking out for during a test ride.

One of the main things I want to check out is the riding position - I don't want to buy a really uncomfortable sportsbike! But... what else should I be checking, and what can I expect to get out of the test ride besides a feel for the bikes performance and handling? How long does a test ride usually take, where should I go etc etc.

Any tips or advice is appreciated.
    The one thing I would say is that when you've not experienced riding a sports bike it'll probably take a lot longer than one test ride to decide whether you like the riding position. It did for me anyway.

I've been riding for years and when I rode my first proper sports bike a few years ago I bloody hated it, nearly fell off when I pulled off, scared me to death the limited lock to turn the thing, found it uncomfortable beyond belief, hated the riding position, didnt like the way you couldnt see much with your head down all the time and couldnt see how anyone in their right mind could ever ride/want one for. It took me several decent long rides to even start to click with it and now on my third sports bike I absolutely love them can easily ride several hundred miles in a day no worries about riding in wet/crap weather etc., and cant imagine having a sit up and beg again, ever! The secret is to relax and dont put any weight on your arms easier said than done the first few times you ride one though.

As for how long you'll get and where you can go it'll generally depend on the dealer I've known some who will just hand over the keys and say see you in a couple of hours some will follow you round the block for 10 minutes. Hopefully someone who has been to the dealer you have in mind can help a bit more.

Hope that helps a bit.

Me I'd love a BMW S1000RR - ENJOY THE RIDE
    Last edited by QB1; 11-03-14 at 03:54 PM.