Notices

Thread: Sat Nav app

1. Sat Nav app 
    Been trying out a few Sat Nav apps for my iphone recently and came across Skobbler well worth getting if you want a decent Sat Nav app. A big advantage is that it still works if you loose signal unlike a lot of others.

I've never had much luck with Satnav on phones the GPS antenna in all the handsets I've had has been a bit crap takes a while to get a fix and can often lose it. I ended up buying a factory refurbished Mio Moove L616 for £25, problem is though it eats my bike battery quicker than the bike charges it so if I use it much more than an hour plugged in I have to bump start (as I found out in Poole on Sunday).

I just use google maps with ivona voice. What's the difference between that and Skobbler?
    In loving memory of Mikkie Mahon 8th May 1986 - 28th September 2014. Taken too soon, ride free x
    “I WILL be a story in your head, but that’s ok. We are all stories in the end, just make yours a good one, eh?”

Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    I just use google maps with ivona voice. What's the difference between that and Skobbler?
    Google is OK but Skobbler is much clearer to look at on the bike its like a 'proper' Sat Nav.

I personally find the maps much better too (it even has house numbers if you need it) the directions show at the top of the screen (like a car Sat Nav) and if you loose the GPS signal you dont get stranded.

I used Google maps previously and got seriously lost in the depths of Somerset when I lost GPS signal but Skobbler still works offline that for me is the biggest advantage.

It's only 69p on the App Store.

Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    I've never had much luck with Satnav on phones the GPS antenna in all the handsets I've had has been a bit crap takes a while to get a fix and can often lose it. I ended up buying a factory refurbished Mio Moove L616 for £25, problem is though it eats my bike battery quicker than the bike charges it so if I use it much more than an hour plugged in I have to bump start (as I found out in Poole on Sunday).
    I havent yet tried my phone with a headset the on screen instructions have been enough, but am looking into headsets.

The iphone battery life is really poor though for me 2 to 3 hours with the Sat Nav and it's dead. I carry an Anker charger with me at the mo but am looking at hard wiring it.

I personally find the maps much better too (it even has house numbers if you need it) the directions show at the top of the screen (like a car Sat Nav) and if you loose the GPS signal you dont get stranded.

I used Google maps previously and got seriously lost in the depths of Somerset when I lost GPS signal but Skobbler still works offline that for me is the biggest advantage.
    I think you may be confusing online and offline with GPS signal a bit. These Apps work with either or both an online data connection via the phone itself or a GPS signal via the GPS antenna. When they say they work "offline" or when you don't have a signal they mean it works using the GPS antenna only. Lots of the free ones don't work "offline" or without a signal because they require a data connection as well as a GPS connection (this is why they fail in more remote areas with poor phone signal). The worst issues I had with my phones GPS antenna was actually in built up areas where the half assed attempt at a GPS antenna couldn't get a signal.

I could be wrong and Skobbler could be different but I don't see how it could know your location without either a GPS signal or a data connection.

The iphone battery life is really poor though for me 2 to 3 hours with the Sat Nav and it's dead. I carry an Anker charger with me at the mo but am looking at hard wiring it.
    12V fag lighter socket of fleabay, you can even get a little adaptor for it to take USB cables, around a fiver. I have mine fitted under my seat problem is though my battery is fairly small and my charging system seriously lame so Phones and GPS can kill it really quick. Great for charging my e-cig though.

Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    I think you may be confusing online and offline with GPS signal a bit. These Apps work with either or both an online data connection via the phone itself or a GPS signal via the GPS antenna. When they say they work "offline" or when you don't have a signal they mean it works using the GPS antenna only. Lots of the free ones don't work "offline" or without a signal because they require a data connection as well as a GPS connection (this is why they fail in more remote areas with poor phone signal). The worst issues I had with my phones GPS antenna was actually in built up areas where the half assed attempt at a GPS antenna couldn't get a signal.

I could be wrong and Skobbler could be different but I don't see how it could know your location without either a GPS signal or a data connection.

12V fag lighter socket of fleabay, you can even get a little adaptor for it to take USB cables, around a fiver. I have mine fitted under my seat problem is though my battery is fairly small and my charging system seriously lame so Phones and GPS can kill it really quick. Great for charging my e-cig though.
    Thanks WR6133 I should have said lost phone signal above.

You dont need network coverage to use the app.

You should also look at Waze (on iOS and Android too) free and has replaced my TomTom.

I have had Navfree for ages and it more than does the job for me, stick a headphone in while riding and get directions more than early enough to take the exit.

Haven't tried Scrobbler but used to get Navigon for free and that was pathetic, you downloaded an 800MB map update and it still required 3G enabled to work. No way I would advise anyway to pay for it.
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

http://tbex.co.uk/