Notices

Thread: Rider dies in A371 collision

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    A real pity to hear but unfortunately not a surprise given the huge increase in the number of bikes out this weekend compared to last, law of averages dictates.

Although there is no reason to suspect this poor biker was out for first ride of 'the season' (makes it sound like fishing) it is something to consider when the sun shines for the first time in a long while. Although I don't commute on a bike I do ride all year round and wouldn't fare well with a long lay off and then mixing it with the combo of dry roads, bright sunshine and choc full roads on my first ride out for several months, well done to all of you who enjoyed a great day out and kept it shiny side up.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dabz View Post
    I've got the right kit, Just don't enjoy riding in the cold and covering the bike in salty road crap. I compensate by taking things very steady at the start of the season plus regular refreshers like bike safe. I agree riding year-round makes a better rider but it's not for me
    Each to their own but I don't know how people manage to park their bikes up for the winter. I love riding so I cover the bike in ACF and wrap up warm.

I'm not suggesting the poor chap that died was a summer rider

I personally ride all year and cant imagine what its like not too but really dont want to turn this into an argument summer riders v all year riders.

This poor chap died today at 5.50am so sounds like a commuter.

Sorry to hear this RIP
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

My thoughts are with his family and friends. RIP

The "think bike" tv adverts are prevalent during Spring and summer but maybe there's a case for them being aired earlier in the year to remind car drivers that bikes share the roads with them?
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

Quote Originally Posted by Dabz View Post
    The "think bike" tv adverts are prevalent during Spring and summer but maybe there's a case for them being aired earlier in the year to remind car drivers that bikes share the roads with them?
    ......or maybe some ads to remind us bikers to take it steady and for all of us road users to respect each other on the roads but I suspect like the Think Bike campaign that would fall on deaf ears.

Here's the thoughts of someone who picks up the pieces -

https://www.facebook.com/HeliBikes/p...382585954321:0

Quote Originally Posted by QB1 View Post
    To be fair and with respect to this man we dont know what happended here but yes I think most of us know the sun brings out some REALLY bad riding. Glad I'm not a traffic officer they must dread this time of year.
    Reasons I didn't go out on Sunday:

1. It may have been sunny but the tarmac was still cold and no matter how good our intensions, we all get carried away now and then.
    2. People go crazy at the first sniff of sunshine. All they can think about is getting to the park/beach/pool etc and don't concentrate on the dangerous job of driving.
    3. Other road users are still in winter mode and aren't looking out for bikes.
    4. I'm still in winter mode and haven't got in the groove yet.
    5. I ride purely for fun. Winter riding on a sports bike is just stupid.

Today I spotted crash damage in Chippenham that beggars belief. There was a hedge with a cartoon style car shaped hole in it on my estate and a 30mph sign flat on the ground on the A4.
    Our lives are in their hands!

Until we know more we can only speculate but this is tragic new none the less.
    Obviously all our thoughts are with this poor mans family.

Quote Originally Posted by wiltshire builders View Post
    Reasons I didn't go out on Sunday:

1. It may have been sunny but the tarmac was still cold and no matter how good our intensions, we all get carried away now and then.
    2. People go crazy at the first sniff of sunshine. All they can think about is getting to the park/beach/pool etc and don't concentrate on the dangerous job of driving.
    3. Other road users are still in winter mode and aren't looking out for bikes.
    4. I'm still in winter mode and haven't got in the groove yet.
    5. I ride purely for fun. Winter riding on a sports bike is just stupid.

Today I spotted crash damage in Chippenham that beggars belief. There was a hedge with a cartoon style car shaped hole in it on my estate and a 30mph sign flat on the ground on the A4.
    Our lives are in their hands!

Until we know more we can only speculate but this is tragic new none the less.
    Obviously all our thoughts are with this poor mans family.
    Good post WB. I saw that hole as well today. Oddly enough just by it was a biker on the path having a big old conversation with the driver of a greensquare driver. Obviously another incident in the same spot.

I was on the ride out at the weekend. My first run in about 6 weeks. Not a desperately long time but long enough to get rusty. So before I hooked up with the rest of the group, I did a little 40 mile run round just to get the rhythm going again. Yes, we can all get a little ring rusty.

Got the wake up call I needed even before I got out of chippenham. Apparently, if you drive your car around early in the morning, on a Sunday, when no one else is around, there is no need to stop at red lights! Keep the eyes open people.
    "the empty can rattles the most!"

https://www.facebook.com/neil.hudd