Notices

Thread: What kit to take

1. What kit to take 
    As per my previous post I am heading off to Europe in June/July for a 10 day trip around Germany, France and Italy. I will be camping as opposed to B and B. So for those experienced tourers amongst you, can I ask what kit would you take. I ride a GS at the mo so already have a full set of panniers and a top box. I will not be riding with a pillion so there is also storage space on the rear seat. We will be eating out as opposed to cooking by the tents so cooking equipment is not a requirement other than the means to make a brew. I've been on tinterent doing research but some of the lists are amazing with what people think is necessary to take. So in you opinion what would you say is an absolute essential, what would be handy and what is not really necessary.

Cheers

Sauners

Mankini and 8" Stilettos

More seriously never done bike touring but have done a bit of backpacking a long time ago and the 2 most essential things I found for travelling were lots of clean socks and a supply of oldish T-shirts. The T-shirts take older ones because you wear it then throw it away as the journey progresses this means you end up with more luggage space for stuff you pick up along the way.

The Mankini and Stilettos were a given mate, never leave home without them

Go for thin layers of stuff that you can put on or take off as required. Also there are usually shops wherever you go so whatever you forget that you can't live without you can generally buy!
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”

Last year I did 3 weeks around Europe with a tail pack and a ruck sack.
    The biggest pain are shoes. They're so bulky. If you think you can manage without them just take flip flops.
    Poundland do compression vacuum bags. Great for making clothes take up less room.
    Obviously small tool kit, tyre weld, cable ties, duct tape.
    I always carry a chinograph pencil to write directions on the tank and have a mini compass on my glove. Invaluable when my sat nav stopped working in Estonia.
    Get a Merino wool base layer. It never smells and will keep you warm even if it gets wet.
    If I think of anything else I'll let you know!

Max for me is about a week, 2.5k miles so not sure I qualify as experienced tourer + always travel light so no panniers, top box, etc. As WiltsBuilder; tail pack (10L Kriega) and tank bag or just the storage space on my NC last year. I take ultra light walking trainers (Inov8 a top British brand but not cheap) for walkies, a couple of changes of base layers - Merino wool + one synthetic, 2 pairs quick drying undies (dry over night), walking trousers with zip off legs, couple of tshirts, two pairs socks (bin and buy if you want more), Montane wind/showerproof proof zip up top handy both on and off bike as top layer and rolls up size of an apple.

Toiletries are minimal (a non shaving week suit me just fine), mini can of deo for when you just can't be bothered and mini toothpaste, spare shower gel pouch for that one hotel that just doesn't provide any - well not at the price range I prefer anyway. A part toilet roll with enough sheets for an emergency........

Ditto on the tool kit, cable ties, etc although I run my tyres with sealant so don't carry a puncture kit, not sure it works, never had a puncture since using it ; ) I also carry a 1 litre fuel can full of petrol as always seem to want to push on to that next hotel in the evening and a couple of times have found myself riding on fumes as a consequence, if you do go for this make sure it's a proper fuel grade can and stopper. Short but strong chain and padlock + mini can of chain lube + tools to adjust if you don't run an oiler or have shaft drive

One thing I think is a must is a small but very well equipped first aid kit, choose proper bandages, pads and tape over a mountain of plasters, small cuts & grazes you can live with but one big cut (as happened to my mate year before last) and you'll wish you had something to patch up as best as possible. Also some strong pain killers, anti-histamine and Rennie or similar, all available fairly easily I admit but for the tiny space taken up by half a dozen of each it can save touring small towns for a pharmacy or an uncomfortable night waiting for one to open.

Plenty of water, I find 2 or 3 smaller bottles easier to stash, not just for drinking but washing hands, freshening up or rinsing eyes full of dust.

Love the Chinagraph pencil tip WiltsBuilder, thanks. That's the beauty of asking this sort of question, there's usually at least one gem in everyones list

Head torch incase you need to pitch up at night or work on the bike, small knife (I use a folding stanley knife)
    I had a check sheet for the laws in the various countries as they do differ even though most of them were in the EU.
    One of my best buys was a Kreiga cube pocket. http://www.kriega.com/kube-pocket/
    It attaches to the straps of your rucksack and will hold phone, wallet and passport so that they're easily accessable and you wont lose them.

Re: Chinograph pencil. It's also good for drawing a penis on the right side of your mates Tuono so that he spends a whole day riding around northern France before someone points it out to him.

Platinum Member
    Pack light - and buy what you need when out there.
    All I would take is a couple of TShirts (synthetic - to breathe) ideally with silver based lining (doesn't smell, keeps you cool & dry and also can be washed and dried quickly)
    Two pairs of shorts & underwear (buy more while out there)
    Plug type tyre repair kit & tyre weld can.
    European breakdown cover.
    Insurance.
    Your "Get out of jail free card" might come in handy too.

And the obligatory mankini & heels.....