Notices

Thread: What trousers?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    thanks guys and gals, think I need to try try some on and see what types feel the most comfortable.. i believe saftey gear is provided with Phoenix, so I've got till 25th April (touch wood!) to find something- thanks for all your replies

If you are near Trowbridge then try out www.nutz4bikes.co.uk they have a good selection and price range. Maybe get ones with liners that can be removed, i'm currently wearing trousers and over-trousers with a liner as it's cold, you then have another layer to remove if Spring gets here...

I ended up with XXXL to get the length in the legs as the knee caps rose above my knees after i got comfy on the bike...

Swanny wears braces because he is an old man
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

I've got Hein Gericke fabrics for winter and I wear skinny jeans or thermals underneath (but I'm a girl and hate being cold) I either wear HG leathers or Draggin/Red route jeans in the summer.
    In loving memory of Mikkie Mahon 8th May 1986 - 28th September 2014. Taken too soon, ride free x
    “I WILL be a story in your head, but that’s ok. We are all stories in the end, just make yours a good one, eh?”

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Conehead View Post
    Swanny wears braces because he is an old man
    Watch it or you won't get to be an old man

... and just what is wrong with wearing bracers?

Anyway, I find Leather in summer and Textile in the winter works for me. My leathers have ventilation slots to keep you cool in the summer, hence they are not warm in the winter ( 3 degrees centigrade and 70 mph in the rain is quite a chill factor). The textiles are toasty warm and fully waterproof. . Richard
    It's not about my ears ... it's about my ride!

Just remember whatever you go for..leather or textile.. To do the "pretend you're on your bike stance" everything gets a bit tighter when you swing your leg over a bike.. Mega motorcycles let me sit on one of their machines..it's saved a few high pitched problems later..lol

A few thoughts from my experience: when I got back into road bikes in a more serious way about 15 years ago my leathers were not only a little snug (why do they always shrink?) but also well out of date on style but more importantly protection. With not a huge amount of disposable income I went the ebay route and did get some decent gear (it's amazing how many change their gear with the colour of their bike!) but found it almost impossible to get a good fit and, over 3 or 4 years saw me buying a reselling quite a bit.
    I eventually ended up with a one year old, hardly used set of Alpinestar leathers and had zips modded to give a tiny bit more room and match my textiles (tip 1; use a proper motorcycle clothing modifier for this, Hill for Leather near Andover has been my choice for years but there are plenty of others).
    4 years ago I splashed out on a set of HG Goretex textiles and, although a little pricey (£600+ I recall) I wished I had done so in the first place, great fit, totally waterproof (reproofed them this year), hard wearing, comfortable and vents and liners to suit all but the very hottest days. I do prefer leathers but absolutely hate the faff of pulling on a waterproof oversuit (which usually isn't anyway) and as I ride all year round, so if it looks likely to be damp then usually textiles or sometimes leather troos and textile jacket (matching zips remember).
    I always wear a base layer under my trousers, thinnest possible if warm but stops your legs sticking to the inner lining and adds that bit of extra warmth if chilly. Check out Lidl/Aldi when they come up, also use a windproof Montane walking top as packs to size of an apple but works brilliantly for it's weight/thickness. Have base layers with windproof surfaces but find myself not using them often as prefer separate layers.
    In short; get the best you can afford (second hand can be very good), try your kit on before buying (and adopt bike crouch as Sins says), look after - wash and reproof at least once a year and try to build up a wardrobe that complements/works with your other kit - and not in a Gok Wan way!

One tip I would recommend ..although it's not strictly about trousers is wearing..sealskin socks..bit pricey.. (£35) but they can go under your favourite boots and keep your feet completely dry.. Gore text is fantastic but if they get wet inside they do take ages to dry. And when space is at a premium you can take the socks just incase, and not have your feet bake in gortex when the weathers warm...

Sealskinz are excellent socks, I'd recommend them
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”