Notices

Thread: Learning from near misses and reported accidents.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I have learnt that despite trusting other road users to be sensible they never are.

The scariest one was leaving the M6 to join the M42 and a "muppet" in a Range Rover trying to drive into the side of my bike. Blasted the horn three times to no avail. Sped up and he kept coming quicker, he lost his wing mirror and then proceeded to emergency stop on the hard shoulder. Out of courtesty I stopped and had a conversation with the gentleman, he apologised saying that he hadn't seen me in my white leathers, hi vis vest and white helmet.

I offered my insurance details and reminded him of the number of cameras on that stretch of road. He declined saying that it would probably end up costing him a fortune. I was surprised how calm I was, I felt like clocking him one as I thought he was going to turn me into dog food.

I always expect the unexpected and have found that the finger up does nothing but annoy the hell out of the driver and they become more agressive. I have had a couple of close calls whilst filtering at slow speeds and know I wouldn't be here if I was going as fast as some of the guys that I have seen filtering in the same location.

Every ride is a learning experience and I know I will never be perfect. The day I think that is the day I hang up my helmet for good!
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

http://tbex.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Senna(Dan) View Post
    I have learnt that despite trusting other road users to be sensible they never are.

Not all...some are bikers

Personally I've found other road users have become more considerate and seen me better the older I've got

Platinum Member
    I was speaking with a 54 year old ex-biker the other day.
    The reason he is an ex-biker is that when he was 34 he had a serious argument with a tree at about 60mph.
    He said that he was lucky to still be alive.
    The accident was completely his fault with nobody else involved (apart from the tree)
    He was in a coma for 10 months and lost his right forearm in the crash.
    He said that the accident happened as he got distracted for only a second.
    I have always ridden with complete concentration on the road - I won't change that and the higher the speed that I travel at, the more I concentrate my full attention on the road ahead - planning, escape routes and what ifs e.t.c.

I've only been riding for 2 years but learnt a lot in that short time:

Incident 1: Within the first few weeks on owning a bike, I was on a straight road near the Ridgeway in Swindon. I wondered if I'd be able to shimmy back on my seat onto the pillion seat and still be able to steer. I struggled to maintain control over the steering and nearly rode into a ditch.
    Lesson learnt: Don't be stupid.

Incident 2: This has happened a couple of times. In the right hand lane on a dual carriageway and a vehicle in front (usually a van or lorry) pulls into my lane without looking, almost taking me out.
    [Lesson learnt:[/] Be wary of sudden maneuvers, car drivers probably not have seen you.

Incident 3: Riding along in the rain and went around a large roundabout (the one by Windmill Hill in Swindon) at my usual speed. The back wheel started to drift out and I almost shat my pants. Thankfully i loosened off the throttle and maintained control.
    Lesson learnt: Ride to the conditions.

Incident 4: Riding along in the pouring rain (a badly timed outing!) and hit a massive pothole that had been filled with rainwater, making it practically invisible.
    Lesson learnt: Pay attention to the road surfaces, especially in bad weather. Look out for large puddles, potholes and slippery surfaces such as manhole covers and paint.

Incident 5: Has happened a couple of times; Riding at night, and an animal (such as a rabbit) runs out into the road in front of you (managed not to hit any yet!)
    Lesson learnt: Animals are unpredictable. Pay extra attention at night and manage your speed so that you can stop suddenly if need be.

Of course, there are other things that you learn along the way, such as to be extra careful whilst filtering and whatnot. Recently, I've learnt to pull the clutch in and idle past whilst riding near any police, as my exhaust is a little bit loud...
    "Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a moving car window"

2012 BMW S1000RR
    1999 Kawasaki ER500

facebook.com/upshiftmedia