Notices

Thread: New Pillion-tips

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. New Pillion-tips 
    Only been doing this a couple of weeks, today was my first much longer ride. My legs ache!!
    went from Swindon to loomies, only stopping once on the way there. However the way home my legs kept falling asleep!! Anyone any riding tips to feel slightly more comfortable for a bit longer. Took a long time to get home!!

Banned
    You're supposed to do lots of stretches before and after riding but I doubt many people do.
    You'll see a lot of riders shaking their legs about on longer rides to get the blood flowing. I think the main thing to do whether you're a pillion or a rider is to relax
    If your legs ache today wait till tomorrow
    But don't worry you'll get used to it

Thanks! Am supposed to be going for a long walk at Weston super mud tomorrow wish me luck! I'll look into the stretches but am always too excited to get going to have time to stretch. Had to keep stopping on way home to stamp my feet, each time we stopped it took longer and longer to find them again!

I reckon if you stand up and shake yer legs about when your on the move there will be no need to stop................helpful ?....Yes I thought so
    I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!

Killer Rat
    stretch legs around riders waist as if you are trying to kick the mirrors off.

Have recently started taking a pillion, regular stops help or stretching legs out now and again when it's safe to do so.
    what angle are your knees when sat on the bike? If they are bent too much and a lot less than 90 degrees then it may restrict blood flow. There are adjustable footrests to lower your feet but depends if they fit, another option is to maybe adjust the seat height - fit new suspension parts, raise the tension if possible or maybe fit a cushion!

What he said.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

Stretch, stretch then stretch again.

I found doing this when riding long distances it helped. 200 miles between fuel stops was painful when I first started but found it easier doing the stretches first. That was riding but I would imagine that the same would apply for riding pillion for that long.

Failing that nudge your rider on the straights to tell them that you are going to stretch your legs. Maintaining a static postition for a prolonged period of time will eventually become annoying.

Sitting through a 3 hour film in the cinema is a prime example of this, I fidget like hell which is why I hide in a corner.
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

http://tbex.co.uk/

Cheers guys, I will look into the various stretches. I'm on the back of a sports bike so my knees are round my chin!!

Sports bike pillion is never going to comfortable, the footpegs are usually set quite high and the seat tiny. Its more of a nod at a pillion, not really for long distances.