Notices

Thread: idiot knocks my bike

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Killer Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
    Yes - if he didn't give you methods of contact.
    If it were me I would phone him this afternoon and say 'Last chance before I contact my insurers'
    Your choice fella?
    If no response then put it in the hands of your insurers - job done
    Contacted my insurers, im at the information only stage. If he doesn't ring me tonight, i shall follow-up with the insurers tmw.

Get as much info as possible. The police should have given you the log number of your call. It's the date followed by a number. This will at least show that the incident was recorded at the time.
    If there was CCTV footage this will seal the guys fate.

Just to put things inperspective:
    On saturday my brohter in-law was working in Batheaston. He looked out of the window to see his van being driven off.
    By the time he got outside the guy had crashed into the wall opposite.
    He dragged him out and called the police.
    The guy gets arrested for agrivated theft, drink driving etc.
    Great. Obviously an open and shut case.......... not quite.

The little sh*t said he was just walking past and that my brother in-law is trying to set the guy up. No witnesses saw him take or crash the van.
    If this even gets to court, I'll eat my trowel!

My advice. Hit him with everything at your disposal. You can always ease off if he comes through with the money.

Quote Originally Posted by wiltshire builders View Post
    Get as much info as possible. The police should have given you the log number of your call. It's the date followed by a number. This will at least show that the incident was recorded at the time.
    If there was CCTV footage this will seal the guys fate.

Just to put things inperspective:
    On saturday my brohter in-law was working in Batheaston. He looked out of the window to see his van being driven off.
    By the time he got outside the guy had crashed into the wall opposite.
    He dragged him out and called the police.
    The guy gets arrested for agrivated theft, drink driving etc.
    Great. Obviously an open and shut case.......... not quite.

The little sh*t said he was just walking past and that my brother in-law is trying to set the guy up. No witnesses saw him take or crash the van.
    If this even gets to court, I'll eat my trowel!

My advice. Hit him with everything at your disposal. You can always ease off if he comes through with the money.
    Pity to hear about your bruv-in-law's hassle; problem is that the law is really only effective for those who, on the whole, prefer and try to live within it, if u really don't give a f**k then it's amazing how far you have to go before you feel the consequences. For these people it would better if protection from the law was not an option therefore allowing van owners who are relieved of their property to take action they see best fit to deter future thieving scumbags and to relieve them of suitable compensation - rant over !

Too true Trev.. If you stay legal..at least they can send you a speed ticket through the post..if you buy a car for cash of a bloke at the pub..don't tax it..register it or insure it..then the ticket gets dropped after they can't find the present owner.. I can't watch things like traffic cops..where you see some piece of C@?! Steal your car.. Run from the police..crash into half a dozen other cars..and then get 60 hours community service and points on a licence they don't even have..WTF!!.. Never mind the poor sods that won't get enough money for their car to replace it like for like..and will probably end up in debt just to replace what the scum wrote off..

Quote Originally Posted by Sins View Post
    Too true Trev.. If you stay legal..at least they can send you a speed ticket through the post..if you buy a car for cash of a bloke at the pub..don't tax it..register it or insure it..then the ticket gets dropped after they can't find the present owner.. I can't watch things like traffic cops..where you see some piece of C@?! Steal your car.. Run from the police..crash into half a dozen other cars..and then get 60 hours community service and points on a licence they don't even have..WTF!!.. Never mind the poor sods that won't get enough money for their car to replace it like for like..and will probably end up in debt just to replace what the scum wrote off..

and who will pay increased insurance premiums in future as they've had to claim through no fault of their own

Killer Rat
    just realized that both me and the party involved were both parked on double yellows. according to my insurers, this wont affect my claim! PHEW!

in process now of starting the claim (my first ever insurance claim) will report back when new and exciting things happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Rat View Post
    just realized that both me and the party involved were both parked on double yellows. according to my insurers, this wont affect my claim! PHEW!

in process now of starting the claim (my first ever insurance claim) will report back when new and exciting things happen.
    Is this because he failed to live up to his promise or are you taking a pre-emptive strike?

Killer Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltshire builders View Post
    Is this because he failed to live up to his promise or are you taking a pre-emptive strike?
    He didn't come through last night. He's had his chances and not bothered and i cant let this drag on so had to do the dirty. Got a crime ref. number, phoned insurers and sent photos of damage.
    With the cctv footage i have got him by the danglies and should get my £250 excess back as there's no way he can get out of it, if his wife has tampered with the cctv recording then this will lead to further problems for her aswell.
    He should've acted properly in the first instance instead of being an idiot in a rush to get somewhere and not giving full details to me.

Insurance company say it's fine for to me source the replacement parts and fit myself as the damage is cosmetic and not mechanical.

Does this mean i can sell the old exhaust with slight marks?

Banned
    No one will know what you do with the old exhaust, I don't see why you couldn't sell it

I wouldn't go selling the bits just now