Notices

Thread: Glencoe

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hi Col, thank you for your kind words, myself and my brother in law went up to Inverness in the first week of June last year, as we were camping we tried to time it with good weather and before the dreaded midges appeared up there, as it was we didn't see a single midge, I understand they can be a nightmare and one I was keen to avoid.

Camp Gypsy, home for a couple of nights, Bunchrew on the Beauly Firth.

Not a bad view of a late sunset from the tent door, this was gone 10.30pm
    Last edited by Grey haired bloke; 30-01-14 at 06:13 PM.

Cracking photos there GHB!

Applecross heading towards Torridon , Heaven !!!

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/...0820121183.jpg

Incidentally Greyhairedbloke The 3rd image on your 1st post ,was that the Grey Squirrel campsite by any chance ???

Hi Daddy Cool, no sorry, no camp sites on the first post, 3 shots from the roadside A82 at Glencoe and a shot of the Nevis range just outside Fort William again on the roadside of the A82. Nice picture by the way, very atmospheric.
    Thank you Uber Dave for your kind comments.
    Last edited by Grey haired bloke; 30-01-14 at 11:26 PM.

Wow!! love that sunset pic GHB

Ah yes the midge problem is meant to be less than pleasant ...so they start mid-June till ?? October is it ??

Gonna have to think about going up there after seeing your pics GBH and DaddyCools vids......on Groupon at the minute there is a hotel stay at Ullapool which looks like it could be a good place to be based.

I have never been further than Stranraer lol!!! but was wondering about fuel availability up there ...many garages about ? as doesn't seem that many towns.................may seem a stupid question for those that know the area but if you don't ask you won't know
    I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Col View Post
    Wow!! love that sunset pic GHB

Ah yes the midge problem is meant to be less than pleasant ...so they start mid-June till ?? October is it ??

Gonna have to think about going up there after seeing your pics GBH and DaddyCools vids......on Groupon at the minute there is a hotel stay at Ullapool which looks like it could be a good place to be based.

I have never been further than Stranraer lol!!! but was wondering about fuel availability up there ...many garages about ? as doesn't seem that many towns.................may seem a stupid question for those that know the area but if you don't ask you won't know
    Hi Col Ken and I stayed in Ullapool you're right in the middle of it there , good place to base yourself

Hi Col, I know the feeling about fuel, when I went up there fuel was my main worry (apart from the midges) my Bandit has a crap range, silly little tank for such a large engine, mind you it could be the rider and the way it's ridden (inserts a red faced icon), anywhere after 120 miles and I'm getting concerned, to be honest despite getting lost one afternoon we still found fuel in odd little places, strangely we found fuel but not the distillery we were looking for until nearly closing time (inserts another red faced icon) but it all came good until I asked the price of a particular bottle of Glen Ord whisky and was told £120, as it happens it's still there, I just couldn't run to a bottle of lemonade as well, that's my excuse anyway.
    Like yourself I didn't have a clue about fuel but what I did was use google maps and street view I think it's called to check out the villages etc before going, if it showed a fuel station then it was noted, not the best way to go about things but it worked for us.
    Last edited by Grey haired bloke; 01-02-14 at 06:21 PM.

Click on the map , drag and zoom .

http://www.whatgas.com/petrol-prices...l#.UuzkDfl_uSo

Nice one DC and very useful info GHBloke Thanks

Seems ok and probably best to fill up when you see a station.

Getting quite tempted to get somat organised now for ,probably, April or May
    I need amusement in my sad life and it looks, very much, like you fit this requirement admirably..............begin the amusement!!!!!

Been along that road many times. I love that part of the country. We stay about 5 miles short of Mallaig in a village called Arisaig. It over looks the Isle of Skye and the isles of Eigg and Rhum. My daughter is named Skye. April and May are the best months to miss the midgies. I think the rule of thumb is to never pass a petrol station. I remember my old Range Rovers fuel light coming on, signifying we had a gallon of fuel left. We passed a sign saying 16 miles to Mallaig, but she was averaging 15mpg. My mrs crapped herself for the next 16 miles. Ha ha! We did make it, although it's all downhill into Mallaig. Mind you, fuel is bloody expensive in remote places like that.
    ABLE MOTORCYCLE TRAINING
    01373 822399
    www.ablemotorcycletraining.co.uk
    markable30@yahoo.co.uk