Notices

Thread: Spray rubber

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Spray rubber 
    Killer Rat
    Im tempted to try and rubberise the bike frame with something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-x-400ml-...p2054897.l4275

Anti-chip which would be more durable than powder coating and cost-wise a lot less and it's completely waterproof. Only thing that bothers me is the finish. I've also heard that this stuff would last up to 20 years.

Thoughts?

I think you will find that is 'orrible gloopy stuff.

We used to use similar stuff when I worked in a garage to under-seal cars.

If you have a bit of frame that you want to protect try Helicopter tape from a cycle shop.
    I made some great frame protectors for my bike from transparent Helicopter tape for about £5.

It's kind of rubberised and self adhesive, designed to protect mountain bike frames.

Killer Rat
    Dont think ill try the bitumen rubber, i did find this stuff though:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Liquid-wra...item20dcf0e82d

Designed more for a smooth finish, think ill give this stuff a bash in the summer. Not in fluoro colours though! Matt black for the win.

I do wonder if i can spray the engine too, this stuff can withstand 150c according to manufacturer website.
    Last edited by Killer Rat; 26-01-14 at 08:28 PM.

I'd be inclined to think far more hassle than it's worth for possibly bad looking result. To do it properly you're going to need to tear your bike apart. The advert says it can be peeled off so I suspect after a few miles of road crap hitting it you will end up with a peeling mess. I wouldn't put it on the engine for definite firstly I reckon it'll melt but if it doesn't melt its going to have an insulating effect on your engine, not something you really want on an air cooled lump.

Maybe try it on a bit of subframe first or even just on one fork to see how it does for a bit before committing.

Got to agree, could be more trouble than its worth, especially if the finish isnt that good.

Killer Rat
    Good advice guys.

Luckily i have a few spare parts and might do a test on those. Judging by the website though, if it's possible to coat wheels and an entire car even then i might just go straight ahead and do the frame. I would imagine that it wouldnt peel off too easy as it would dry tight and would need cutting with a stanley to peel off properly. Not too worried about the finish if i get the odd drip, it's a 125 made with indian steel and awful paint coating (honda cbf) so anything, even chocloate would be an upgrade for protecting it.

Strip it and Powder coat it. It's only a 125, what's the worst that could happen.

Killer Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by Hondafan View Post
    Strip it and Powder coat it. It's only a 125, what's the worst that could happen.

Unfortunately, with the possibility of my first child on the way the expense of powder coating is something i cant justify at this moment in time. Cheapest i found for coating is TPCS in melksham, £130 for frame but the 2 wheels cost an extra £170 plus the £20 in petrol for the car. I'll try the 4 cans of rubber for £34.

I've tried hammerite smooth before and after a couple of years it becomes ineffective against road salt.

In an ideal world i would prefer powder coating instead of saving for nappies

A good cleaning regime and ACF50 should be fine. My 125 was 6 years old and Chinese as is my 250 (so worse metal than your CBF) and neither have had any real rust issues just from elbow grease and ACF50/WD40.

Or is your frame massively peeling and rusted? If it is and the bike is under warranty I'd contact the dealer/Honda as if it's rotting before it should due to poor workmanship it's on them to sort it out (powder coat). Even if the warranty has expired I'd send a long letter to Honda asking why they think it's ok to put their name to an Indian made bike that can't handle UK weather.

Killer Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    A good cleaning regime and ACF50 should be fine. My 125 was 6 years old and Chinese as is my 250 (so worse metal than your CBF) and neither have had any real rust issues just from elbow grease and ACF50/WD40.

Or is your frame massively peeling and rusted? If it is and the bike is under warranty I'd contact the dealer/Honda as if it's rotting before it should due to poor workmanship it's on them to sort it out (powder coat). Even if the warranty has expired I'd send a long letter to Honda asking why they think it's ok to put their name to an Indian made bike that can't handle UK weather.
    Only on the centrestand and under the swingarm. I kind of expected that from road salt to strip the underside of the bike. I have complained numerous times to honda about the condition of parts and the rust issues but to no avail.
    Examples of failings during the warranty included:

1. Cush drive rubbers fell out, causing chain to snap. This was particularly scary as i was on the 419 between swindon-cheltenham.
    2. Stator burned out, took 2 weeks for dealer mechanic to diagnose the problem and a further 4 weeks for the part to come from abroad.
    3. Chain adjusters on swingarm went kaput.

The dealership never offered a replacement bike, so i had to claim back all my train fares from honda which took a long time. Don't get me wrong, i like honda bikes in general but their customer service is shocking. They seem to believe that everything they build is bulletproof and if you do have a genuine problem they try and make out it's your fault.
    Since warranty has run out, i have slowly been replacing nuts and bolts for superior steel. I see the bike as a learning curve and a project to try and keep alive and in good condition. I'll never sell it and im quite happy to experiment with it to prolong it's life.