Yes this is indeed a tough issue; Benefits Street itself; one of the worst examples of media exploitation of people/situation even though many of us must admit we watch and listen for various reasons. The point should be made though that if our benefits system was geared more towards getting people back to work rather than supporting a status that, provided they have a low enough drive and desire, encourages people to live on benefits then we would all be better off.

I have an example very, very close to me that I absolutely know the correct details off; two guys in the same profession which has plenty of work on offer where, within reason they could both earn a decent whack. One works 50+ hours a week, owns his own house and has saved several tens of thousands towards his next property investment. The other works two or three days a week and earns just enough to keep his (and his family's) head above water but not enough to lose the benefits of most of his rent paid, support for child minding and other benefits.

The difference between the two in terms of profession, age, family background and ability is very, very little. What makes them different is drive and desire, what allows them to be different is our benefits system. I am one of six kids brought up in a 3 bed council house who definitely benefitted from state support. My Dad worked full time, long hours and often took extra work at the weekend so that we could have our annual holiday, a colour TV an any other 'luxuries'. If he had decided to only work two or three days a week we literally would not have had enough to eat let alone spare cash for a mobile phone, booze and fags as many on benefits seem to be able to afford today.

I am 100% for state aid and support for those who, for whatever reason, are unable to support themselves and their families and very happy to pay a considerable sum in tax to this cause. What I am not happy to do is to pay one single penny to support people who don't want to work and our current system asks far too many to decide between working and losing benefits or staying at home. If we are all honest with ourselves, given the choice what would we decide if we could work less hours and have the same money? The system needs to be reformed.