Notices

Thread: idiot knocks my bike

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. idiot knocks my bike 
    Killer Rat
    Valentines night i stop at a shop and give the car in front at least 4-5ft space. Driver sat in vehicle whilst i pulled up, he was waiting for his missus to finish work in the shop.
    Anyway i come out of the shop to witness him slowly reversing into my bike even though i was screaming at him to stop. Bike goes over and the guy helps me lift the bike.
    Brake pedal bent on first inspection, which he said could be bent back into position! i said 'it can, but the lever will be useless as when metal bends it weakens' told him it would cost roughly £20 to replace, he was happy with this and told me his wife works in the shop and the road he lives in (no house number given)

On further inspection today, indicators scratched, bars are extremely bent (knew this when i got oh the bike, he had gone by then), mirror scratched, engine cover,fairing and exhaust all scratched.
    Rang the shop and spoke to this guys wife, she said she'll have a look at the cctv footage. I dont know why she wants to look at it and have a thought that she might try and erase the footage. I gave her a rough estimate of at least £250 and she said she'll get her husband to ring me tomorrow.

I have taken pictures of the damage and sourced replacement parts that are of new quality and the cheapest i could find.

Do i wait until tomorrow for her husband to ring and argue the toss (he might be reasonable!) or shall i contact my insurers straight away?

They didnt give me insurance details at the scene and im reliant on the cctv footage to argue my case as my helmet cam was switched off at the time.

Sorry to hear about your damage KR.. It surprises me how often it happens, especially when the buggers have watched you turn up in the first place. fingers crossed he plays the game.. As if you say the CCTV saw it all he won't have a leg to stand on..

Killer Rat
    He's lucky really that i can get a 50% discount on the zorst as an existing customer, he's also lucky that the headset bearings are ok. I've mentioned 250 to her, i imagine that if it goes through insurance the price will rocket to £600 for genuine new parts.
    He's lucky my bike is cheap and not a gixxer/r1 etc which would cost a lot more to fix.
    Choice is his and hers.

Do i give them until tmw for a reply or should i contact my insurer?
    Last edited by Killer Rat; 16-02-14 at 01:31 PM.

I would contact the insurance co just to let them know what the situation is and Exactly what is happening , then if the wrigglers dont respond youve at least notified the ins co and they are ready . If those people put you off another day then another and you ring the ins co in a couple of weeks to notify them , youre probably going to encounter more problems than already exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Cool View Post
    I would contact the insurance co just to let them know what the situation is and Exactly what is happening , then if the wrigglers dont respond youve at least notified the ins co and they are ready . If those people put you off another day then another and you ring the ins co in a couple of weeks to notify them , youre probably going to encounter more problems than already exist.
    Agree with this totally.
    "Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a moving car window"

2012 BMW S1000RR
    1999 Kawasaki ER500

facebook.com/upshiftmedia

Also, that sucks! I hope it doesnt take too long to get it all sorted
    "Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a moving car window"

2012 BMW S1000RR
    1999 Kawasaki ER500

facebook.com/upshiftmedia

Killer Rat
    luckily have got some old handlebars that have a slight bend, so swapped them over, the brake pedal i have pulled back out, should be ok until a new one arrives.

i have photo'd scratches on the fairing and any other area on that side of the bike. Zorst has the tiniest scratch, but this has annoyed me a lot and i want that replaced lol.
    Last edited by Killer Rat; 16-02-14 at 05:59 PM.

Platinum Member
    Sound advice from DC.
    Do exactly as he says and you should be alright.

I had a taxi driver go into the back of my car - and he wanted to sort it without going through his insurance.
    I got three quotes and chose the middle of the three (fair I thought)
    Then when I had got it done he started to 'wriggle' ; I said fine, we'll put it through on the insurance then.
    The next day the cash was waiting for me -'funny that isn't it!

The trouble with telling your insurance up front is that although you may never need their help..you are telling them about a possible claim if things go wrong..and whatever the outcome it will be logged.
    A friend had the same and although the other driver paid in full it did affect things later. although it goes down as a "no fault accident" it's like they don't quite believe you!!!!

I'd see what happens and hold the insurance notification back if the other guy tries to wiggle out.. It's amazing what the thought of their insurance premium going up for a few years tends to get them to cough up.

Killer Rat
    Thanks for all the advice guys.

I cant phone insurers today as they are shut. I will give this guy until 5pm tomorrow to get in touch, if he doesn't that gives me 30 minutes talktime with the insurers.