Notices

Thread: Anybody have experience of owning a Triumph 1050 ST circa 2009?

1. Anybody have experience of owning a Triumph 1050 ST circa 2009? 
    I am thinking of buying one, need a sport tourer. Have owned a VFR 800 2010 in past, Blackbird, 2010 and currently an old CBR 600F. I want it to be smooth and comfy as well as nippy.
    Whats the good the bad and the ugly, what do I need to look out for when buying?
    Counting down until my next ride out!

Had the earlier model the ST955 tempted by the 1050 but decided against it. I just didnt like the triple engine I know a lot of people do though.

I like the straight 4's, don't mind V4's can't stand twins so may take one for a demo

I was looking at an ST1050 just before Chrimbo as a replacement for by Daytona 955i and I still wanted something with a bit of sports about it and loved the triple engines that Triumph produce. I ended up taking two for a test ride. To be frank, neither ride grabbed me by the balls and I wasn't inspired. The engine was good, with plenty of low end torque but I just felt the ride a bit bland. Whether that was down to the bike or the road I tested them out on I don't know, but I was disappointed to be honest. I ended up getting a R1200GS as I was grinning throughout the whole test ride and the bike felt 'right'. Take one for a demo, but make sure you take it out on a good bike road to put it through its paces.

Cheers for that, liked it and brought one. Being delivered Friday. Touch banal in its ride as you said but feel that i don't need to ride around "on it" anymore so agree with your comments. Just booked another 5 day tour of South Belgium/Luxumbourg on it in May 2014 so should be a perfect mile muncher for that. Used to have VFR and a Blackbird but the VFR was a pig at low speed and the BBird was so damn heavy and as a 5ft 7 I was stretched to the limit.