Notices

Thread: New action cam

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Killer Rat
    8gb card works fine and the camera is working ok, will try it out in a bit on the way to work so will upload some videos over the weekend. I did watch the tiny videos i had and the quality is great with easy number plate recognition. Don't think the microphone was much use, but then i think any mic on a bike is pretty pointless with the wind whistling.

I guess ten minutes of footage fills up the 1.5gb storage space then, and this is why it stops recording? Thats very frustrating. Let me know how you get on
    "Only a biker knows why a dog sticks its head out of a moving car window"

2012 BMW S1000RR
    1999 Kawasaki ER500

facebook.com/upshiftmedia

Killer Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by MayallRob View Post
    I guess ten minutes of footage fills up the 1.5gb storage space then, and this is why it stops recording? Thats very frustrating. Let me know how you get on
    Not quite, the 32gb kingston is faulty. I tried putting 8gb worth of films (about 10 movies) on it and only 2 would play. The card would say that 8gb had been used but the files were empty when i tried to access them. Corrupted cards.

Kingston and Sandisk SD cards are massively counterfeited so if you got the cards for a "good" price there is very good chance they are knock off. The fakes will use substandard memory so usually don't meet the speed criteria for the class or can even be faulty to the point where the storage is vastly less than claimed. Its been happening for years but most people largely never noticed as they just shoved them in digital (still) cameras, etc. Many will come perfectly packaged with the right paperwork and if you open em up are even correctly marked (they may be stuff that failed QC and has been packaged and sold out the back door by a "grey" shift).

I've even had fakes come bundled with stuff from known major brands (Lenovo phones with fake sandisk cards)

Killer Rat
    Quote Originally Posted by WR6133 View Post
    Kingston and Sandisk SD cards are massively counterfeited so if you got the cards for a "good" price there is very good chance they are knock off. The fakes will use substandard memory so usually don't meet the speed criteria for the class or can even be faulty to the point where the storage is vastly less than claimed. Its been happening for years but most people largely never noticed as they just shoved them in digital (still) cameras, etc. Many will come perfectly packaged with the right paperwork and if you open em up are even correctly marked (they may be stuff that failed QC and has been packaged and sold out the back door by a "grey" shift).

Nail.On.Head.

I've even had fakes come bundled with stuff from known major brands (Lenovo phones with fake sandisk cards)

Nail.On.Head.

Quote Originally Posted by MayallRob View Post
    Do you know what class your memory card is? I have a Class 10 Sandisk 32gb that I use for my GoPro, but it'll struggle to record 720p at 60fps for a prolonged amount of time. it'll usually record for about fifteen minutes before it stops and I have to hit the record button again. It copes fine with 1080p24 or 720p30 though (due to lower framerate).

As a general rule, cards with less storage (like an 8gb or 16gb) have a better transfer rate (like 45mb/s+) and can handle the large amounts of data being stored to it.

You can buy a class 4 32gb sd card and, although it has more memory, its not suitable for a video recorder due to the low file transfer rate (like 4mb/s or something). This would be fine for something like a digital camera, but for a full HD video recorder simply wont work. Try turning down some of the settings on the camera if you can, and see if that works. If its set to record at 60fps it'll really struggle, so turn it down to 24fps (which is standard really. 60fps is only really useful if you're doing slo-mo stuff), or if recording at 1080p reduce it to 720p and see how the memory card copes.

I'd recommend buying a new memory card, but keep an eye on what class and transfer rate its got. Just my opinion (and I have a degree in Media Arts )

Let me know what you decide to do, and if you want a new sd card I'll have a look online when i get home and recommend some for you.
    Hi Rob I have a gopro and it used to stop recording mid flow, then did a firmware update and works as it should now on all settings with different cards try it you may be in luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddy Cool View Post
    Hi Rob I have a gopro and it used to stop recording mid flow, then did a firmware update and works as it should now on all settings with different cards try it you may be in luck.
    This may well be it, I updated to the lastest firmware about a few months ago, which is when I started having some trouble. Theres probably a much newer one out by now. Thanks!

2012 BMW S1000RR
    1999 Kawasaki ER500

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Rat View Post
    8gb card works fine and the camera is working ok, will try it out in a bit on the way to work so will upload some videos over the weekend. I did watch the tiny videos i had and the quality is great with easy number plate recognition. Don't think the microphone was much use, but then i think any mic on a bike is pretty pointless with the wind whistling.
    Have you uploaded any videos yet?

2012 BMW S1000RR
    1999 Kawasaki ER500

Killer Rat
    Daytime through avebury:

http://youtu.be/4BnRyw-haS8

Nighttime coming into devizes during torrential rain:

http://youtu.be/dxCaIkvoZlY

That's a nice clear video! How did you mount it to your helmet, is it on the inside or the outside? I mount mine on the outside and the wind noise is unbearable.

2012 BMW S1000RR
    1999 Kawasaki ER500