Notices

Thread: Tyre weld

1. Tyre weld 
    Seen these cans to fix punctures and wondered if they work, read the instructions and it looks like a get you home type thing, also said to take it to a tyre shop and show them the can.
    will they give you a sharp intake of breath in return and say "you shouldn't have put that in there...."
    i have rac cover but like the idea of a get you home fix from a puncture - any ideas?

I've never had any joy with them.

I almost always continue on my way when using a plugging kit, unless the tyre is an avon.

--------------------------------
    On the road to nowhere

A mate used one in Ireland and it did what is supposed to, although some have a low speed limit, its got to better than nothing. Also plugs and the gel you can install into the tyre are both good options, the plugs will need the compressed air cannisters to re inflate the tyre, but the gel will find the puncture and seal it, (up to a certain size)

Platinum Member
    Ive had to use them a few times.
    They work as long as the hole isn't above about 5mm.
    Shape of hole matters too - sometimes it just doesnt work!
    I carry a can and a plug kit with me at all times now - just in case.
    Can get you home in a fix. Plug kits are what the RAC and AA carry and when allowed to vulcanise fully the plug method is best as it creates a proper seal around the hole.

I've used Holt Tyreweld as a get you home. It works, but the tyre is trashed and the tyre fitter hates you!
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

a certain bike shop sells them after you get a puncture, we have had a couple in and the Goo is all round the inside of the under neath. I remember Greg used to cuss us for taking filled tyres down and even charged an extra fiver as he had to clean up the mess. but yes, filled before the puncture , they do seem to work, but only as a get you home measure dont ride too fast especially on a superbike

Hi Wheelers, an interesting subject 'Good ol Tyre Weld'.
    I had never used this before until, One day refueling my Vmax in Swindon just before I left for a trip to the Isle of White. I spotted this never before seen can of tyre weld on the shelf. Having a fully loaded bike with luggage front & rear, including panniers and a pillion, I thought I best grab a can as a precautionary measure for our trip away.
    Now, I don't know if I tempted fate or what?! But what I do know, is it got me out of a right fix once I rode off the ferry on the Isle of White.
    i couldn't believe my luck, almost skint anyway and with no breakdown back up, I had to use the Tyre Weld. This was just after having riden off the ferry on our first day away!
    Taking a huge chance, we rode around the island for couple days and returned to England mainland after three days, still relying on the tyre weld.
    We weren't going much faster than 40 to 50mph over the last couple days but on way back to Swindon, it became a hit of a drag. So up the speed went to 70/80 mph with confidence the back tyre would hold out, and it did all the way home. Infact, it sealed the puncture (bead seal or valve??) so well, I rode out the back tyre for another year before I changed it.
    since then, I've always had a 'Good ol can of a Tyre Weld' to hand.

Though having said all this, it has to be remembered that, Yes this Tyre Weld is only a temporary fix!!!
    Livings for Biking & Staying Live.... Ride Safe

I used to always run "sludge" in my trials bike.. Ride it through all sorts of terrain and apart from occasionally changing the pressures. I never had a problem. But when I changed the rear tire the inner tube had about 40 little punctures in it, I'd never know a thing about them.