Notices

Thread: Bandit wet splutter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hybrid View

Platinum Member
    Sounds like a water in starter & Kill switch mech.
    Blow out with WD 40 - but be aware that if it's the starter switch the WD40 may build up a nice crusty deposit on the contact point and it then won't start at all - therefore contact cleaner might be a better long term fix.

(I have recent experience of this - as you can probably tell....)

Still had a bit of a splutter once this week after getting too close to a lorry and having a "car-wash" moment. Just put in new plugs as were over due and got some lacquer type spray from GM Stevens in Trowbridge, sprayed this around the top rubber on the ht leads, also cleared out the holes that drain the spark plug wells. Great advice from the shop!
    The Honda regulator is still working so a good buy.

Got my splutters back today after I thought they had gone away. I played around with the ht leads this morning and it got better, but they I also had a few minutes rest so it may have dried out the root cause...
    on the way home it only spluttered in low revs but still not right, I will check out the below suggestions tomorrow and maybe take things apart for a clean, what's good to put on ht leads or the like to prevent water ingress as this only happens when it's pouring and at speed - we'll about 40...

if you think its the leads they have probably past their best. you can allways try another set or get a set of Taylor or Dyna leads without seeing yours are they the originals a bandit 4 must be between 1989-2000 so well used and aged. could e the leads have come loose in the caps

After a good drenching this morning I would say that i've solved it, new plugs and sealant spray all around the Ht leads and rubber bits near the spark plugs.

Right - next problem....

prone to water around the plugs, new leads that seal around the top or make a set seal around the top of head to stop water gettin in there

Killer Rat
    It might be worth checking the drain plug near the air filter if you have one. It could be full of water and this leads to spluttering/kangarooing.

when its started check across battery, over 15 volts or below 11 and its likely reg rec has had it, electrex world are as good if not better than oem and only in Oxford

Well done. The best thing I have used is good ole trusty WD40. Hope that is the end of your troubles.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.