Notices

Thread: Bandit wet splutter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    prone to water around the plugs, new leads that seal around the top or make a set seal around the top of head to stop water gettin in there

Killer Rat
    It might be worth checking the drain plug near the air filter if you have one. It could be full of water and this leads to spluttering/kangarooing.

drained some water from the air filter and had the HT leads out for a clean and check, they look like the originals and the seal around the top of the plug area was poor, there was also some grit on one of them so water would have gotten in easily.

I put some rubber around the HT leads where they touch the frame to see if that helped but still the same this morning, think I will start replacing stuff.

Thanks for your suggestions, I will add all of them to the next maintenance.

Had trouble starting this morning as the starter turned over slow, it cut out a couple of times when I pulled up and when I stopped for fuel I had to bump it again as power had drained. Made the call to return home as lights were dim and I would have had to ride in the dark later.
    I thought last night that there was a flickering of the light as I put the bike in the garage...
    So either Battery is duff or - more likely - reg/rectifier is screwed, will have a play with a voltmeter later to see if i can narrow it down. Just ordered new plugs as well....

when its started check across battery, over 15 volts or below 11 and its likely reg rec has had it, electrex world are as good if not better than oem and only in Oxford

Fixed it, not sure if the wet splutter has gone away but got it running again. The regulator rectifier had broken as after recharging the battery and started it had standard 12v across the battery. Did some research after looking at the £55-70 price tag and others had fitted a cb400 one for £20, just got to cut the wires from the old one and get the connectors in the right place. If it doesn't last then i will buy a matching one.
    Think i need to clean all electric connectors, is there a good spray that will prevent water getting in or coat things to stop corrosion?

Well done. The best thing I have used is good ole trusty WD40. Hope that is the end of your troubles.
    When it's your time to go it's your time, so don't let it catch you.

Still had a bit of a splutter once this week after getting too close to a lorry and having a "car-wash" moment. Just put in new plugs as were over due and got some lacquer type spray from GM Stevens in Trowbridge, sprayed this around the top rubber on the ht leads, also cleared out the holes that drain the spark plug wells. Great advice from the shop!
    The Honda regulator is still working so a good buy.

After a good drenching this morning I would say that i've solved it, new plugs and sealant spray all around the Ht leads and rubber bits near the spark plugs.

Right - next problem....