Notices

Thread: Bandit wet splutter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Bandit wet splutter 
    Fine in the dry but got rained on this morning and it was spluttering like it was running out of fuel, managed to keep going to get to work, dry on the way home and it was fine - Bandit 400
    was initially thinking a fuel problem but as it was fine in the dry then me thinks it was the wet stuff.

whats the best thing I can do to to waterproof the eleccy bits?

sounds electrical.

Water in the kill switch?
    Water in the side stand switch?

The kill switch area has been apart recently.... Might need some sealant and grease applying.

Silicone spray of most types will repel moisture.

my son luke had a bandit 400 which didn't like the wet..i told him to keep engine running when he reached his destination which helped to dry out plugs area and so would be easier to restart later.eventually we changed the plugs and he had no more trouble..possibly moisture causing old plugs to arc out..
    ride to work,work to live,live to ride

Platinum Member
    Could be carb icing?

bandit 6 and 12 have carb heaters not sure of 4's would think they have as its been a mod since the 80's after some problems with running at speed.
    would really have to look at your fuel, could be rain got under fuel cap ( drain hole plugged up) and its got in to carbs

Platinum Member
    Sounds like a water in starter & Kill switch mech.
    Blow out with WD 40 - but be aware that if it's the starter switch the WD40 may build up a nice crusty deposit on the contact point and it then won't start at all - therefore contact cleaner might be a better long term fix.

(I have recent experience of this - as you can probably tell....)

Got my splutters back today after I thought they had gone away. I played around with the ht leads this morning and it got better, but they I also had a few minutes rest so it may have dried out the root cause...
    on the way home it only spluttered in low revs but still not right, I will check out the below suggestions tomorrow and maybe take things apart for a clean, what's good to put on ht leads or the like to prevent water ingress as this only happens when it's pouring and at speed - we'll about 40...

if you think its the leads they have probably past their best. you can allways try another set or get a set of Taylor or Dyna leads without seeing yours are they the originals a bandit 4 must be between 1989-2000 so well used and aged. could e the leads have come loose in the caps