Notices

Thread: money pit soffit advice

1. money pit soffit advice 
    Hi all,
    Right bang in the middle of getting our house rewired the wind dislodges a soffit board (cement) which is now smashed. Going to try and fill the gap with some ply as a temporary measure tomorrow. Can anyone advise how much it would be to get replaced properly? Also, can anyone recommend someone trustworthy / honest /fair who can check out our roofline as a whole as the fascia paint is all peeled off and I could do with knowing what work if any needs doing?
    Cheltenham based so maybe its out of most people's area, but advice / recommendations would be really appreciated!
    Ta

buy a bag of sand and cement and fill it yourself , if your soffit and facia boards are not rotten then give them a good sand bak and some quality paint such as dulux weathershield, but if its rotten make sure you cut the rotten wood out and replace or remove all and replace with pvc, Don't just cover up with pvc as if its rotten as it could travel to your roof joists in time and cause a hole new problem.

Thanks brizzer. Not sure how I can fill the gap with cement and sand, it's about a 4ft by 1ft gapvand you can see the rafters inside? Unless I'm misunderstanding you, which is very possible as I'm a DIY numpt! :-)

Ply is the best bet for a repair, if the rest is shot you could replace the lot, as long as its a good quality ply it should last, plus you can give it a coat of paint so its not so obvious.
    If the rest is looking in need of repair, it could well be worth replacing the lot with upvc, soffit, facia and gutter, ive done mine myself on a semi detached, and its not as difficult as you would think, but i did have the house scaffolded to do other work, making the access easy.
    You could try the local paper, theres always ads for carrying out this type of work, and they bring their own access equipment as well.

Quote Originally Posted by napalm View Post
    Thanks brizzer. Not sure how I can fill the gap with cement and sand, it's about a 4ft by 1ft gapvand you can see the rafters inside? Unless I'm misunderstanding you, which is very possible as I'm a DIY numpt! :-)

sorry I miss read it

Where are you? I can take a look if you like.
    Do you have any pictures?

Are you certain it was cement board and not the dreaded asbestos? im sure you have probably disposed of the broken sheet now but if you are going to be fixing something else there temporary or permanent make sure you are dead certain it is cement before you drill any other boards etc.

What age is the property and is it ex-council?

Thanks guys. I've filled the gap with a sheet of ply for the time being, at least until the weather improves.
    In answer to the questions, I'm in Cheltenham, the house is 1960s, don't think its ex council. I think its cement board but could be asbestos, don't know tbh. Didn't drill through anything just in case. Don't have any pics, will take some when it stops raining..