Notices

Thread: Involved in a car accident... need some help!

1. Involved in a car accident... need some help! 
    Hi All,

I rear ended a taxi on Thursday just gone, won't go into details he just braked really hard and I had no hope! My passenger and his passenger both said the same but of course, I went into him so it's my fault. It happens, I'm over it.

My car suffered broken bumper, bonnet, front slam panel and cross member (sits behind the bumper) - other than that everything else looks untouched, engine is still nicely in place and so is the wings and surrounding body work.

Now, I want to repair this myself as a winter project but I don't want to plough money back to get it fixed if the chassis is bent or warped.

That's where I wondered, before I call a garage, if anyone on here for a fee will come and have a look and is from a mechanic / technician background. More than happy to pay for your time.

Would really appreciate any help / please leave sarcastic comments at home, not needed on this thread.

Ash
    '12 NC700X

TBH I think you should get the car professionally assessed. If the cross member and slam are U/S that is a fairly serious shunt and there could be other issues that you haven't seen.

I'm no expert but I'd be looking at the inner wings and structure around the engine and front turrets. Any creases there could be a sign that the impact has traveled further into the car.
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

I was kinda hoping someone professional is on here first, in the Swindon area.

I have looked at engine mounts and main front frame and can't to my eyes see anything, weak spots, creases or otherwise not in place parts.
    Going to go over it again tomorrow. The slam isn't that bad (but needs a replacement) and the cross member is quite well dented (did it's job pretty well).

Thanks for comments Jon!
    '12 NC700X

just to add to what jon says,vehicles today and for quite a few years now have design features to spread the load in the event of an impact.so what might seem localised damage will more likely have spread to further inboard and can include in your case the a pillars and front scuttle area..its all designed to prevent passenger area intrusion.i am a mechanic and have seen what seems like minor damage extend well into the car,both in front and rear collisions..for piece of mind a bodyshop is really the only way to evaluate how much unseen damage might have been suffered.
    ride to work,work to live,live to ride

Thanks Al,

I will most definitely arrange to get it inspected asap -thanks again for your comments and knowledge!
    '12 NC700X

Yes, deffo get it professionally checked on a jig to make sure it's straight before throwing any other money at it and ending up with an un-safe or un-saleable vehicle!
    We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, while others bright, some have weird names, but they all have learned to live together in the same box.”