Notices

Thread: IAM recruiting post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. IAM recruiting post 
    Have been chatting recently to a few on this forum and another I belong to about IAM training and the sometimes perceived view of the organisation and training as being a bit 'boring' and maybe not for them. I admit this was pretty much my own position before I gave it a go but doing my advanced Rider training and test a couple of years back definitely changed my opinion.

OK so I've not become a hi viz wearer or bought a set of aluminium panniers but I have continued to use much of the learned riding skills, met with a whole new group of bikers, ridden some new roads and found some new biker hangouts. If that wasn't enough I even got to ride Thruxton a couple of times this year (once on a Gixer and once on something a little slower) all due to becoming an IAM member. When you're thinking about your New Year biking resolutions at the end of this month I strongly suggest you add joining the IAM to the wish list.

See you as you fly past me at Cobb.................
    Attached Images

Chatterbox
    It's on my to do list...
    Everything else is shyte

If anyone under 30 is thinking about doing it, talk to WABAM as they have had a 'scholarship' programme which will refund you the cost of the skill for life package (if it's still available). You just pay the observer contribution.

I did it this year, and like Trev I've not become a high vis wearing technique lecturer. I just feel more confident riding (and my cbr gained some new stickers!)
    100 Japanese horses now unmuzzled! Derestricted hooliganism has commenced...

It's been on my to-do list for a few years now
    http://twitter.com/WiltshireBikers
    http://www.facebook.com/WiltshireBikers

I looked into it not long after I passed and was put off by the attitude I received then. I was scorned at for being a young rider on a small bike and basically told to come back when I'd dried out behind the ears, if I lived that long!

Suffice to say that has been my one and only venture into the IAM!

Things seem to have moved on since then, and perhaps my ears have dried enough to give it another try...
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W View Post
    I looked into it not long after I passed and was put off by the attitude I received then. I was scorned at for being a young rider on a small bike and basically told to come back when I'd dried out behind the ears, if I lived that long!

Suffice to say that has been my one and only venture into the IAM!

Things seem to have moved on since then, and perhaps my ears have dried enough to give it another try...
    Jon, sorry to hear of your experience, have to say not what I've seen at my local IAM provider Solent Advanced Motorcyclists (SAM) but no doubt it happens. I can still just remember my L plate days and certainly there were those more 'experienced' bikers who were more interested in letting me know how little I knew rather than helping me learn, human nature I'm afraid.

SAM is made up of mainly riders of larger capacity bikes but that's the same for many bike clubs, bigger/faster still seen as better but some of us have seen the light. I think SAM stipulate minimum of 250cc and capable of maintaining national speed limits, I didn't bother to take my V50 moped on any observed rides ; )

I never felt I got that attitude from WABAM either, but they do require you to have a bike capable of reaching and maintaining national speed limit, although I don't know if they have an engine size requirement.

Platinum Member
    Don't want to be controversial as the WABAM group are great, but just think it's worth pointing out that there is a local Rospa group too which is quite active.
    The main difference is that Rospa have a mandatory re-test every 3 years for no extra charge - you may of course see that as an advantage or a disadvantage. For completeness I should mention the IAM do a re-assesment for £35.

If you are thinking of doing a course then check out which group might be best for you.
    If for example you go to church on Sunday's you might find one group suits you better if they do rides on Saturdays. Similarly if you are interested in car training as well, you may find one group suits you better.
    For every person that says I have a great experience at X and Y were unfriendly - you'll find someone who says the exact opposite.
    So check out the websites and the activities. Both groups should welcome prospective members.
    I think it's fantastic that there is a choice and would encourage anyone to do more training whether it's IAM/ROSPA, california superbike school, able training or whatever.
    It's all too easy to do nothing.

Most people find that their enjoyment of their riding improves and not just their riding standard and their safety.

Of course, other groups are available!

Platinum Member
    Yep - unfortunately not everyone "fit's in" at the IAM (and the same can probably be said of every other group on the planet too). I guess it's just group dynamics.
    There are also other differences which might be of interest to car or HGV drivers.
    I don't care which one people join because they are all good in this area - but you might get more out of it if you find one that suits you better.

Interestingly RIDE magazine this month featured the "Advanced course everyone should do".
    I read with interest as to what it could be and guess what........................California Superbike School.
    I think it's about £400 for one day but highly recommended.

Last year I did the Somerset Road Safety Partnership day at Castle Coombe which I think was £80.
    That was well worth doing - so there are plenty of options out there.
    Thre are lots of days on the track that teach things that are applicable on the road but you can do them in a safe environment.

The big pro of the voluntary groups are that they are very good value for money because they are non-profit driven and there is a huge amount on offer for your subscription - but there are plenty of other options. Like everyone else I only have so much money and time so have to choose each year what I'm going to do.
    Last edited by Ducatista; 21-12-13 at 08:34 AM.