Notices

Thread: IAM recruiting post

Hybrid View

I looked into it not long after I passed and was put off by the attitude I received then. I was scorned at for being a young rider on a small bike and basically told to come back when I'd dried out behind the ears, if I lived that long!

Suffice to say that has been my one and only venture into the IAM!

Things seem to have moved on since then, and perhaps my ears have dried enough to give it another try...
    "there's no aspect, no facet, no moment in life that can't be improved with pizza"

Quote Originally Posted by Jon_W View Post
    I looked into it not long after I passed and was put off by the attitude I received then. I was scorned at for being a young rider on a small bike and basically told to come back when I'd dried out behind the ears, if I lived that long!

Suffice to say that has been my one and only venture into the IAM!

Things seem to have moved on since then, and perhaps my ears have dried enough to give it another try...
    Jon, sorry to hear of your experience, have to say not what I've seen at my local IAM provider Solent Advanced Motorcyclists (SAM) but no doubt it happens. I can still just remember my L plate days and certainly there were those more 'experienced' bikers who were more interested in letting me know how little I knew rather than helping me learn, human nature I'm afraid.

SAM is made up of mainly riders of larger capacity bikes but that's the same for many bike clubs, bigger/faster still seen as better but some of us have seen the light. I think SAM stipulate minimum of 250cc and capable of maintaining national speed limits, I didn't bother to take my V50 moped on any observed rides ; )