Notices

Thread: Police riders

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Police riders 
    Came across this reading the Motor Cycle monthly online having lunch today. Bit long but may be of interest to some forum users -

http://www.motorcyclemonthly.co.uk/n...-police-bikers

You get shown and practice all those skills on a Bikesafe ride, which is great fun to go on.

Unfortunately, I was so tense with a speed cop large in my mirrors that I got arm pump, lol.

Guilty conscience or what?
    With my bike I am complete.

Exactly what's taught and assessed on the IAM training + slow riding, hazard awareness and other. Many of the observers/trainers are either serving or ex-cop bikers and I can't stress enough how good the training was with the added bonus of meeting a new set of bikers and being bloody good fun. The IAM even hire out race circuits (done Thruxton twice this year on different bikes) to improve your skills in a safer environment.

Quote Originally Posted by Trev View Post
    Exactly what's taught and assessed on the IAM training + slow riding, hazard awareness and other. Many of the observers/trainers are either serving or ex-cop bikers and I can't stress enough how good the training was with the added bonus of meeting a new set of bikers and being bloody good fun. The IAM even hire out race circuits (done Thruxton twice this year on different bikes) to improve your skills in a safer environment.
    Yep and ''bloody good fun'' seconded

A friend of mine did a course similar to this after she lost confidence after an off.
    The difference after the day out was absolutely amazing, it became a pleasure to ride with her, rather than having to wait for her.
    I'd recommend them, after seeing what it did for her.

I have done a one day course with a south gloucs council run scheme, full on with an ex police instructor, and it was a very interesting day out, learnt loads

Killer Rat
    Had two of them behind me the other day on the a361. Tailgated me before overtaking without indication. I also have a nice little video of a police car driver overtaking me at avebury on a foggy morning, he overtook on a solid line and pulled back in about 15 metres in front of me after tailgating me for 4 miles. I complained to the force about this and they weren't interested in my complaint until i mentioned that i had this on video...they soon changed their attitude and were going to get the driver to apologise to me....still waiting over a year for that apology.

I just wouldn't dream of putting cash in their pockets for their 'advanced' lessons after witnessing all this.

Thanks for putting this on the WB forum QB1. You never really stop learning and a refresher is always welcome.

I done the BikeSafe course in June and it was a really really good day. would recommend it to anyone. some good skills learnt and its interesting to have the police tell you how to be quicker and safer

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Rat View Post
    Had two of them behind me the other day on the a361. Tailgated me before overtaking without indication. I also have a nice little video of a police car driver overtaking me at avebury on a foggy morning, he overtook on a solid line and pulled back in about 15 metres in front of me after tailgating me for 4 miles. I complained to the force about this and they weren't interested in my complaint until i mentioned that i had this on video...they soon changed their attitude and were going to get the driver to apologise to me....still waiting over a year for that apology.

I just wouldn't dream of putting cash in their pockets for their 'advanced' lessons after witnessing all this.
    When I did Bikesafe a few years ago there was no charge and the observed ride by the police motorcyclist was only one part of the day.

Also as regards "advanced" training through IAM or RoSPA Observers, these riders are invariably NOT police or ex-police riders.
    Ducati Diavel Dark