Notices

Thread: The Wolf of Wall street

1. The Wolf of Wall street 
    I watched The Wolf of Wall Street the other day and loved it so much I thought I'd share it incase it may have slipped beneath some of your radars.

I know there are a lot of people out there who can't stand DiCaprio and I used to be one of them (can't run or hold a gun properly. Inexcusable!) but he has really developed as an actor and this could possibly be his best role yet.

DiCaprio plays Jordan Belfort, a slick New Yorker who rises through the ranks thanks to his gift of the gabb to run his own brokerage firm.
    Unfortunately most of what Belfort promises his clients is all talk and he soon has the FBI on his case.
    Although the character is essentially a conman DiCaprio makes him strangely likeable and you find yourself rooting for him as the net starts closing in.

For me the real star of the show is Jonah Hill.
    Still playing the loveable clown, he takes it up a level from his usual casting of a high school loser or a social repribate, to stand shoulder to shoulder with the main star.

It has all the hallmarks of a Scorsese film, dark humour, violence, classic soundtrack and breaking the 4th wall and at times it felt like I was watching Goodfellas but with bankers instead of gangsters.

At 3hrs long it's not light entertainment but as it's based on a true story it's compelling viewing charting the rise and fall of a man who refuses to let go of his dream or his ego.

What i like even more about Jonah Hill in this film is he did the film for a fee of something like £76K purely because he wanted to work under Scorsese.

Banned

Great film , and another to watch is American hustle which is also based on a true story

Both good movies , Just watched Out of The Furnace recently well worth a look

Quote Originally Posted by Crosbie View Post
    What i like even more about Jonah Hill in this film is he did the film for a fee of something like £76K purely because he wanted to work under Scorsese.
    76k? How will he survive on that?

Dan,

I completley agree with your assessment. I used to hate watching Di Caprio but really enjoyed this film.

With good films being few and far between it is annoying.

Mandela's film is another great one to watch.
    People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

http://tbex.co.uk/