Notices

Thread: Support your local motorbike store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    All this is kind of sad, I am old enough to remember when Melksham had 2 bike shops and Trowbridge had5, nearly all of which had franchises.
    Anyone else remember Bill Steel Kawasaki in Waterworks Road?

When I was 15 it wasn't a case of being asked by classmates, IF I was getting a 'ped but what sort of 'ped, I was getting.
    If it wasn't a FS1E or AP50 I was deemed a wuss .
    Not getting one was unheard of and caused much pointing a laughing as the guy who couldn't handle the power LOL.

I have been a customer of Bob Missens in Melksham for over 32 years and have seen the business go from a shop with Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki franchises and a large selection of used bikes to the cycle shop and garden machinery store that it is today.

While Keith in Missens ALWAYS offered a 1st class service to his customers I think that the market place has changed and left these small shops behind.

For example, I am soon to be looking for a complete set of textile waterproof.

What would be the point of going to Missens or GSM? I will undoubtedly end up in Brizzol or Swindon in a superstore "showrooming" if not actually buying.

They are unlikely to have the range of products or sizes that I require and I would undoubtedly be able to find the same products cheaper online or from a large bike store such as Fowlers.

Similarly the Motorcycle manufacturers have moved their goalposts in terms of demands on and corporate identity for their dealers , often insisting on solos status which the small shops just can't justify.

If I wanted a new bike, I have to go to Bristol or Swindon
    If I want a used bike what are the chances of a small dealer having what I want?

I went into Bishops of Bath a few months ago and was shocked at what I saw.
    Once Bath's only Honda shop is now a used bike store with some rough dogs in the showroom

As "established" bikers we now, probably possess all the kit we are likely to need so don't use small shops and there are not the numbers of new, young riders as there once was to support these business.

Without a decent franchise, stock of quality used bikes and wide selection of gear in all the colours and all the sizes (at competitive prices) I fear that the small bike shop is really going to struggle and/or vanish.

Blame the manufacturers, blame the yoof of today for not embracing biking at 16, blame the Government for the volume of 16 year olds that are unemployed and can't afford a bike.
    Blame the shop keepers for not moving with the times, all played a part.

All very sad but I don't see what the answer is.

Who else remember
    Jack Plowrights in Trowbridge
    Prospect Motorcycles in Trowbridge
    Castle Court Motorcycles in Trowbridge
    Bill Steels
    Bob Missens in Trowbridge
    Wiltshire Motorcycles in Melksham
    Chequers in Chippenham
    and Taylors?

think I'm getting old
    Last edited by Hondafan; 19-12-13 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MayallRob View Post
    I go to Steve Lynhams all the time for my MOT and any repairs that need doing (he is ALWAYS considerably cheaper than anywhere else I contact), but I wouldnt class them as a 'store', more of a repairs garage?
    He stocks oil , brake pads , filters , tyres , plugs etc . Hardly a store I know but he has always had whatever I've been after and if not he can get it .

Hondafan yep must be getting old too certainly remember the old Missens, Chequers and Taylors wow a lot have disappeared.

I certainly wouldnt like to be trying to make a living selling bikes and or bike bits.

See Hein Gericke has just gone today too so its not just the little local ones.

Quote Originally Posted by QB1 View Post
    Hondafan yep must be getting old too certainly remember the old Missens, Chequers and Taylors wow a lot have disappeared.

I certainly wouldnt like to be trying to make a living selling bikes and or bike bits.

See Hein Gericke has just gone today too so its not just the little local ones.
    The second time Hein Gericke have gone in 16 months, according to MCN.
    Again, how many went to HG, tried on and decided what they wanted and then went home and got it cheaper online?

You are right, it's not just the little one, George Whites went and remember Motorcycle City?

The way to make a small fortune in the motorcycle industry is to start with a large one.

Hi MayallRob, I'm Swindon based and Artdeans in Swindon is possibly worth a look, http://www.artdeans.com/
    The store has recently changed somewhat but still worth a wander around, I recently brought some new Weiss textile clothing and found Artdeans very closely priced with Fowlers of Bristol also stores in Abingdon and Oxford http://www.kingstwowheelcentre.co.uk/ that are worth a look now and again.

I'm a bit old school I'm afraid, when I buy something I expect to take it with me after parting with my money, yes, you can buy many things (most) cheaper on line but many things I just wouldn't feel right about buying if I couldn't handle it first, gloves, clothing etc, no way would I be buying Boots, leggings and jacket, helmet without trying them on in store, I'm quite happy to travel a reasonable distance to get what I want (an excuse for a ride) but I also feel I can go straight back with any problems, whereas if on-line, it can become a nightmare to exchange or get a refund. As for parts or servicing if it's not simple (oil change etc) then it has to go to the man that can, as has been said 'your life may depend on it'.

I phoned Bristol kawasaki to get a new seat cowl and was told their parts all had to be ordered across the road at the Platinum car dealership!
    Obviously they didn't have a clue what I was going on about
    "What colour?"
    "Kawasaki green"
    "Yeah but what colour?"
    "Fffffffff......that is the colour"
    "But what does it look like?"
    "Like f*#king mushy peas!"
    "Oh. Yeah that came in yesterday"
    Think I'll try somewhere else in future.

If you look there are some interesting points above, Trust is my favorite, I hold a full "city @ guilds" in mechanics but trust Dell's in Preston, nr Cirencester to do the work on my bike, small outfit I grant you but I talk to the one fixing my bike, When I worked for GM and Renault customers were faceless numbers on a job card, later when I worked for local/smaller workshops, I got to know the customers and in time took a more personal approach to the work I did, as bikes in general are a pursuit rather than just the way to get to work like the old days perhaps larger outfits may need to learn from the smaller ones....
    Hondafan, I had the fizzy

Quote Originally Posted by waller 69 View Post
    Hondafan, I had the fizzy
    I bet you wish you still had it.

I must admit Hondafan, the fizzy gave me the chance to meet girls in other villages but at the end of the day I must say the fizzy had a race box and is quicker than the AP but was just a bike, I know they are worth money now but to me it was just great fun
    I wonder what a cotton 250 crosser's worth now?
    Last edited by waller 69; 20-12-13 at 06:24 PM. Reason: fun

Hondafan... I worked in Plowrights Motorcycles, in Mill Street Trowbridge for a few years in the mid 70's, and remember all the bike shops in Trowbridge and surrounding towns.. Jack was a great guy to work for.. but tight as an ant's a*se..

I worked 5 and a half days a week and he used to pay me 15 quid..

and I rode a 4 gear SS50...uninspiring to say the least... but was great fun!
    Last edited by Toph; 20-12-13 at 07:32 PM.
    There's no feelin' like 2 wheelin'